sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

transmission is slow going into gear first thing in the morning

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Dodge?
-What model is your Dodge?
-How many miles are on your Dodge?
-What type of engine is in your Dodge?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2005,ram 2500, 100,000 mi., 5.7 hemi, oil is up stick 2.5 in. in am.
You need to replace both filters in the transmission. There was a problem with many of the filters. There were some cooler filters that could allow the fluid to drain back into the pan while the engine is shut off, this allows air to enter the torque convertor and trans cooler. Whe you start the truck up it has to displace the air with fluid before the truck will move. Also they say the air can damage the main sump filter somehow and cause it to split and to also suck air. Both filters need to be replaced, you'll need about 8-9 quarts of ATF+4, no other fluids or addtives are allowed. I have seen some problems with aftermarket filters, so I recommend getting filters from your dealer. If for some reason this does not fix it, there is an outside chance of the torque convertor regulator valve in the pump hanging up, and that would require pump replacement. If this was the case though, it would go into gear ok, but not move unless you used a little bit of throttle.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
filters have been changed but not dealer filters, what about a valve in cooler line ?
There is no valve in the cooler line on the 545rfe trans like the old trucks had. I would recommend changing the filters again using Mopar filters. I have seen problems with brand new out of the box aftermarket filters first hand. If replacing with Mopar filters does not help the trans will need to come out to disassemble the pump and check the valves.