ProAnswerMan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  All 8 ASE Certifications/ 25 yrs exp./ Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep Professional

I accidentally put some engine oil into the power steering reservoir

I accidentally put some engine oil into the power steering reservoir and was wondering how to drain the reservoir? Or if I should just not worry about it or what? It''s a 1973 dodge pickup
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ProAnswerMan replied 8 years ago.

Hi 1973 dodge,

Yes engine oil isn't good for the power steering, it causes the seals to swell. To drain it remove the power steering return hose, it will have clamps on each end of it. The high pressure hose will have acrimped end and fittings that require a wrench to remove them. remove the return hose and let it drain, refil with the correct fluid and run for a while and repeat the drain one more time and you should be ok. Thanks David.