mbkenw, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  12 years professional experience in a dealership, Certified Specialist

2005 dodge dakota: correct way..route a serpentine belt..3.7L..V6

what is the correct way to route a serpentine belt for a 2005 dodge dakota 3.7L V6 210hp
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mbkenw replied 8 years ago.

Hi,Customer Welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will be glad to assist you with your question. Here are the instructions for belt installation with an installation diagram. I hope this helps.

Belt tension is not adjustable. Belt adjustment is maintained by an automatic ( spring load ) belt tensioner.

1. Check condition of all pulleys.

CAUTION: When installing the serpentine accessory drive belt, the belt MUST be routed correctly. If not, the engine may overheat due to the water pump rotating in the wrong direction.

2. Install new belt . Route the belt around all pulleys except the idler pulley (5). Rotate the tensioner arm until it contacts it's stop position. Route the belt around the idler (5) and slowly let the tensioner rotate into the belt. Make sure the belt is seated onto all pulleys.

Agai, I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any further questions on this topic, Thanks for choosing Just Answer!