Scott
Scott, Driveability expert
Experience:  Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.
6216639

Neon: set Timing..Plymouth..overhead cam..I am replacing timing belt

Customer Question

How do I set Timing on a 1998 Plymouth Neon 2.0 Dual overhead cam engine. I am replacing timing belt.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Have you already taken the belt off and out one on?

Did you try and start the motor ?

Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Water pump froze up and busted timing belt. Installed pump but want to be sure to set timing on dual sprockets and crankshaft. Can turn crankshaft freely.
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

There are two different types of tensioners, mech and hydro.

Also the valves will hit the pistons on these engines , Damage may have occured to the heads/ valves when the belt broke.

The belt timing procedure is extensive. The mechanical tensioner looks like this .graphic

let me know so I can send the info

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nope,different type of tensioner. Looks like piston type spring loaded positioned under one of the belt (smooth) pulleys ??
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

The dodge info is very good, But the pictures are not the best. Auto zone has a great amount of info on their web site

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528007905b

If you have any questions at all please , just reply here.

The autozone info is avail always , this post can get closed. Hope this helps alot.

Scott.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: I already got a print out from AutoZone.If thats the referral you suggest,then why pay you ??
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Hi- I was not expecting to get paid, for that info., I must have hit the "ANSWER" instead of "NEED INFO" button. If you already have that great info from auto-zone ( the info is word for word from the factory manual, but the picture quality is great and there is a warning about the interferance design of this engine) The dealer info does not even mention possible damage from a loss belt- only warnings about improper install. , what question do you really want? Yes, the valves are likely damaged and the clyinder head will have to come off and be replaced or rebuilt. I have only seen one or two neons thats were not damaged , And those loss the belt on start up, But the only way to tell is to put the new belt on and try and start the engine. If you put the belt on wrong you will damage the engine .