sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

1992 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth avenue: runs and drives

Customer Question

I have a one owner 1992 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue 3.3L w/72,000 act. miles. The car runs and drives like new. I stopped at a store for 10 minutes, restarted the car, backed up w/no problem started down the road and the car would not shift. I've replaced the trans. filter, gasket and fluid, everything was very clean including the fluid. I took the car for another drive and it still would not shift, reverse works just fine. What is keeping the transmission from shifting?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
This is called limp in. The transmssion controller is preventing the trans from shifting to prevent possible damage. There are codes stored in the transmission control module. You will have to get the module scanned. When you get it scanned you can post the codes here and I will tell you what to check or replace.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: I just took the car for a drive while it was cold and the transmission shifted just fine. After about 1 mile the transmission started not shifting properly once again. This may give you a little more insight on whats going on.
Thank you,
The most likely cause is a bad input or output speed sensor on the transmission. They are mounted to the front of the case, they are about $25 each. The only way to know for sure is to have the transmission controller scanned.
Have you gotten your car scanned yet?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I took the 1992 Chrysler New Yorker to what I considered a reputable local transmission shop and I was told the transmission needed rebuilt and it would cost $2000.00. I purchased a used transmission from the local salvage yard and paid to have it installed. I picked up the car and it shifted just fine for two days then went into "Limp-in" Mode. This time I took the car to a major transmission chain and the transmission was diagnosed with a bad transmission computer, and a bad solenoid pack. I authorized them to repair the transmission and picked the car up the next day. We have driven the car 300 miles since and it shifts like a new transmission. The first transmission shop told me the car needed a transmission which was not true. I spent a total of $1500.00 for a few hundred dollar problem. If you have similiar transmission problems I would highly recommend taking it to a transmission shop that you can truly trust.
I am a transmission specialist from a Chrysler dealer, and I have seen and heard all about transmission shops. I would not recommend going to them. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.