Kevin
Kevin, Dodge Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a Chrysler dealer Master Tech Owner Of Kevins Mobile Repair Atlanta
10592253

1998 dodge caravan: the instument panel lights went..fuel gauge..tach

I have a 1998 dodge caravan that the instument panel lights went out on and now I have no speed dometer , fuel gauge ,tach or milage anymore .What could it be ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
Wecome to the site my name is XXXXX XXXXX see if we can help resolve this issue.
All of the guages and lights are dead on the dash?
Hit the top of the dash above the cluster. If it comes back to life U will need a printed circuit board in the cluster this is a common thing.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kevin's Post: well is the printed cluster board something a good do it yourselfer can do ? and about how long should it take and what does it invole ? I have been told it could be the ecm and also it could be the alternator ? this answer is new to me ????
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry the cluster panel on the dash is dead now does not come on .
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
The cluster itself is a small computer. All of the guages that U see is nothing but a visual of the data that is comming past it on what is called a bus network kinda like in a computer at home. If the cluster it self is bad u wont be abe to see anything and the van still run. What will happen and does quite often when U turn it off and go to start it up next time if the clustre is not working u wont be able to start up due to the info trying to get through it for the engine computer to start up teling it that the alarm is not active it wont start. Hit the top of the dash abouve the cluster see what it does. U can replace the printed circuit board yourself but will require the dealer to program it once installed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kevin's Post: so what do i have to do to get at and replace the cluster circut board and do i have to disable the airbags so they don't open up ?(how do i do that ?)
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WITH ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION RANGE INDICATOR

REMOVAL

1. Remove instrument cluster bezel. Refer to Instrument Cluster Bezel Removal and Installation in this section
  2. Remove screws holding instrument cluster to instrument panel.
  3. Rotate top of cluster outward.
  4. Remove instrument cluster from instrument panel.
  5. Disconnect wire connector from back of instrument cluster.
  6. Remove instrument cluster.

INSTALLATION

1. Place instrument cluster in instrument panel, bottom first.
  2. Connect wire connector into back of instrument cluster.
  3. Position instrument cluster in instrument panel.
  4. Install instrument cluster mounting screws to instrument panel.
  5. Install instrument cluster bezel.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER BEZEL

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable Battery Negative Cable
  2. Remove Over Steering Column Bezel Removal and Installation in this section.
  3. Remove over steering column bezel.
  4. Remove left end cover.
  5. Remove screw at left end of cluster bezel and headlamp switch.
  6. Remove screws holding cluster bezel to instrument panel from each side of steering column.
  7. Disconnect clip holding cluster bezel to instrument panel from above right vent louver.
  8. Separate cluster bezel from instrument pane Instrument Cluster Bezel l
  9. Disconnect wire connectors from back of the bezel.

INSTALLATION

1. Connect wire connectors into back of the bezel.
  2. Place cluster bezel in position on instrument panel. Use care not to place hands on louvers.
  3. Connect clips to hold cluster bezel to instrument panel. Use care not to add pressure on the A/C louvers to seat the cluster bezel clips.
  4. Install screws to hold cluster bezel to instrument panel on each side of steering column.
  5. Install screw at left end of cluster bezel and headlamp switch.
  6. Install left end cover.
  7. Install over steering column bezel.
  8. Install lower steering column cover.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD

REMOVAL

1. Remove the instrument cluster. Refer to Instrument Cluster with Mechanical Transmission Range Indicator Removal and Installation in this section.
  2. Remove the instrument cluster back panel.
  3. Disconnect the electronic cluster wire connector from the printed circuit board Instrument Cluster Printed Circuit Board
  4. Remove the screws holding wire connector insulator to the instrument cluster shell and the printed circuit board.
  5. Remove the screws holding printed circuit board to the cluster shell.
  6. Remove the printed circuit board from the cluster.

INSTALLATION

For installation, reverse the above procedures. After installing the print circuit board it will have to be calibrated using a scan tool (DRB III) Refer to the proper Body Diagnostic Procedure Manual for calibration procedures.

NOTE: Speedometer and/or Tachometer will not operate properly until all gauges have been calibrated

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kevin's Post: I tried banging on the dashboard and nothing happens. so how can i be sure it is the cluster circuit board ? I also called dealer and the part is $424.00 and cannot be returned . Can an auto zone pick it up on their engine diagnos ? let me know. thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
yeah I know it is expensive I have replaced many. The only codes I have seen is loss of commucations with TCM,PCM,BCM,or the cluster itself MIC.