Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto mechanic

1994 dodge dakota: instructions on how to remove water pump..v6

Customer Question

instructions on how to remove water pump on v6 1994 dodge dakota truck
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall (Cheeko) replied 6 years ago.

Hi, below is the information, thanks

Water Pump

3.9L Engine

See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the coolant.
  3. Remove the radiator and lower hose.
  4. Remove the fan blade, spacer or viscous drive unit, pulley, bolts and shroud together. Remove the air pump belt and power steering pump belt
  5. Loosen the alternator mounting bolts and remove the alternator/air conditioning or idler pulley belt(s).
  6. Remove the alternator bracket. This bracket also supports the air conditioning compressor or idler pulley, which will remain supported by its rear mount.
  7. Remove the air pump. Remove the air pump bracket and unbolt the power steering pump bracket with the pump still attached and position it out of the way.
  8. Disconnect the heater hose and bypass hose.
  9. Remove the air conditioning compressor pulley and field coil assembly, if necessary to remove the water pump to compressor front mount bolts and bracket.
  10. Remove the remaining pump retaining bolts (if any) and remove the pump from the enginel:

graphic

graphic

Randall (Cheeko), Auto mechanic
Experience: Auto mechanic

graphic

graphic

graphic

To install:

1. Clean and dry the pump mating surfaces. Install a new by-pass hose to the engine.

This component is subjected to constant high pressure from hot fluid and must be sealed correctly or it will leak.

1. Install a new gasket and install the water pump to the engine.
  2. Install any bolts that do not retain a bracket.
  3. Tighten the bypass hose clamps. Install the heater hose.
  4. Install the water pump to compressor front mount bolts and bracket, if it was removed.
  5. Install all remaining brackets and components that were removed. Torque all water pump retaining bolts that do not go through adjusting slots to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
  6. Install the air conditioning compressor pulley and field coil assembly, if it was removed. Install and adjust the alternator/air conditioning or idler belt(s). If applicable, place the remaining belts over their components.
  7. Install the fan blade, spacer or viscous drive unit, pulley and bolts along with the shroud.
  8. Install the radiator, lower hose and shroud.
  9. Adjust the belt(s) and tighten the remaining water pump retaining bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
  10. Fill the radiator with coolant. This cooling system is self-bleeding, so system bleeding is not required.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable, run the vehicle until the thermostat opens, fill the radiator completely and check for leaks.
  12. Once the vehicle has cooled, recheck the coolant level