Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

2005 Chrysler: an impact sensor and wiring kit 2 way

Customer Question

I am trying to locate an impact sensor and wiring kit 2 way for 2005 Chrysler Town and Country
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

I believe the parts you're looking for is already furnished as a single package on a recall for this particular model and year. Unfortunately, my info here at home doesn't tell me the recall number or the part number of the package (proprietary info I guess).

Call your local Dodge dealer with a vehicle identification number and they can tell you whether you're eligible for this recall. If not, they might be able to look the recall part package up for you.

I'll be near the shop around 4:00 today and can look the number up for you if you have any problems. If you need the part number sooner, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Ed

Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

One thing more, Poppo...

If you send me the last 8 digits of your VIN I might be able to pull up info here at home. If you're not comfortable with that... that's OK too.

Ed

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5R507792 is the last eight of the VIN. I will be happy to wait until 4 pm, I like the answer so far. The car was in a collision and the insurance will pay, also I am outside U.S. and need to have it shipped. If this is available as part of an available kit, that also would be fine. I just need the parts any way possible. They also are not expensive as I have a dealer in my country quote, but the delivery time is way too long, I am trying to speed this up. Thank you for your attention.

Sorry... it kicked me out. It looks like it will be later rather than sooner.

Just to be sure... this impact sensor you're looking for is located at either of the front corners of the van, just behind the radiator support. They use two-wire connectors.

Sound about right?

Ed

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, Ed, it sounds just about exactly right. Another thing is they called it a 2 way cable, but my experience with language translation is it could be a 2 wire cable. Yes thank you, XXXXX XXXXX trying. BTW my name is XXXXX XXXXX I may be posting another question re this car and I would like you to be the one to give me the answer. The dealer here has it and is having a difficult time with something. I may have to ask you about it. Many Thanks - R
Sounds good Richard! I'll get back to you later today.

I have to warn you... I'm mostly an electrical/ driveability (fuel/ emissions) kind of guy. I'll help if I can on your other question, but if I don't pick it up... you'll be better off (lol)!

Talk later,
Ed
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ed, Just a quick note to let you know I am still here. I had to step out for a minute or sixty. No Problem with me waiting for your great answer. Let me know when I should click accept, I just dont want to close out contact prematurely.

Thanks

btw I like your forthrightness and sense of humor

Thanks. I have to do the same. My daughter's Altima just shot craps LOL! Talk later,

Ed

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ed, I have to go out, my sister is visiting and we need to show her some sights. I should be back in 2 hours, maybe less, but not sure. Please find my info for me.

I apologize, Richard. It looks like the Mopar site I need for this information is partly down for maintenance. Model years between 1999 and 2008 are completely missing. I'm not even able to research your VIN. It looked at first like it was just a problem with accessing the system from the house, but I see the same thing here at the shop.

It will be Monday now before I can find your information unless the site comes back up.

Once again, my aplogies for the delay and will continue to check the web to see if it returns to full capacity.

Ed

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay Ed, I appreciate what you can do for me, hopefully the site will come back up.

I hope your daughter's Altima is on the road again, soon.

Best Wishes

ps I will keep checking to see if you have had any luck finding these parts for Renee's car.

Success!

The recall was G09, involving the potential for water entry into the impact sensor connectors. The package is actually two packages (my bad).

CBX2G091 contains (2) sensors with attaching bolts, all you would need to fix one Caravan.

CBX2G092 is the harness connector/ pigtail repair package. You get only one pigtail per part number, so order two. It comes with crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing.

While we should be good-to-go now, I can't help feeling something else will go wrong. Chrysler can be cranky about selling recall parts over the counter so there may be a problem in obtaining these two part numbers on a cash basis. Don't ask me why...

If you're having troubles finding a dealer that will ship, let me know. It's quite possible I can talk our Parts Department into getting it done. I'll check my JA mail through the day on Monday (well... every day actually) and watch for you to write if there are problems.

Please don't accept this until the parts are on the way, Richard! I feel bad enough that it's taken THIS long and it could get worse. These two part numbers should be available on a normal replacement basis (like what you were trying to do) and we may have to resort to something like that if things really go south.

All the best,

Ed

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Best Wishes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Ed, I was wondering, if my friend, Renee, who will be taking her van to the U.S. in a month or so, should just take it in on the recall and let the dealer there install the parts. It was involved in an accident but maybe this was not the causative factor for the failure of the sensor and would be correct in having it repaired in this manner. I will broach this matter with her, because it would involve a safety issue with her driving without airbag protection. Maybe it should just be a last resort. BTW, I like your style and I like your answers, I will do the accept when you say you have no more info for me on this matter. It is a real bargain and a pleasure exploring this with you. Best Wishes to you and your family and I hope the Altima is roadworthy now.

Thanks Richard! I appreciate the kind words.

Renee's van may or may not be eligible for warranty work under the recall... it's a discretionary call. Recalls are intended to upgrade factory faux pas... not repair damage from vehicle use.
That said, I'd have no problem with fixing the problem but you may have issues with dealers you see once you're back. It's the business... sorry.

Hey, my goal was to be of some help, but as time has passed, I realize it really hasn't happened. I'd prefer that you didn't accept my answer. Too many things went wrong and I doubt the info will really help you in any way.

Sometimes it happens, Richard... I'm good with it. I'll still be here to help in any way I can, but it's looking pretty... thin these days LOL! If there's anything i can do, don't hesitate to write back. I'll do my best.

Best wishes,

Ed
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ed, I wish you the very best and I thank you for your efforts. I believe the information is useful and will click the accept button now.

ps take good care of your daughter's Altima. I carries precious cargo.

Thanks Richard.

By the way... the Mopar site was back to normal this morning LOL!

Ed