sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge ram 3500: the clutch..disengage..master cylinder..slave cylinder

I have an ''02 dodge ram 3500 6 speed with a clutch problem. I put in gear, push in the clutch but it doesn''t disengage. How do I check to see if it's the master cylinder or slave cylinder that's gone bad?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.
The master cylinder, line, slave cylinder, and reservoir are serviced as a sealed assembly. It comes all as one peice and there is no bleeding involved.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: Then why can I purchase each piece separately? If I replace one, I have to just replace both at the same time?

The system was designed as one peice. The whole system sealed and cannot be reparied with factory parts. If you are finding these parts aftermarket you will have to cut the orginal parts out and somehow splice the hard plastic clutch line together. There is also no bleed screw on the slave cylinder. If you replaced the master cylinder with aftermarket you would have to bleed it. Without a bleeder on the slave cylinder you would have to replace that too. Here is a direct copy/paste quote from the service manual.

CLUTCH LINKAGE

The clutch master cylinder, remote reservoir, slave cylinder and connecting lines are all serviced as an assembly. These components cannot be serviced separately. The linkage cylinders and connecting lines are sealed units. They are pre-filled with fluid during manufacture and must not be disassembled nor disconnected.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So how do I replace master and slave cylinders and get the air out of the system?
If you are using Mopar parts all you have to do is install the assembly. there is no bleeding involved. If you find individual aftermarket peices of the system there will have to be assembly instructions with them to seperate the old parts from the plastic line. To bleed it you will have a helper pump the pedal while you open the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder just like bleeding brakes.