Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2001 ram 2500 4x4: front hub..seized with rust..everything in my power

Customer Question

2001 ram 2500 4x4 how do you get the front hub bearing off if it is seized with rust ? I have tried everything in my power.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

If it is seized in the knuckle, there are a couple of approaches to get it out.

• thread the hub retaining bolts back into hub about 3/4 of the way, then place a socket with extension on the bolts and smack with a hammer a couple of times on each bolt
  • Heat the hub with small propane torch and use a silde hammer attached to the wheel studs and slide hammer it off
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The hub still won't budge off the knuckle.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

Looking at what you have tried at this point and hasnt worked, the only option I see is to remove the knuckle and take into a machine shop to be pressed out. You dont want to try anything else with air hammers and such as it can distort or otherwise ruin the knuckle.

if you havent yet, place the axle shaft nut on the axle shaft and strike with a hammer so that axle is loose from the hub. Remove tie-rod or drag link from knuckle. Remove upper and lower ball joint nuts. strike the steering knuckle with a brass hammer near the upper and lower ball joints to loosen. Remove knuckle.

Once bearing has been pressed out, inspect inside of knuckle where bearing goes for bad scoring or other defects. if severe, replace the knuckle, otherwise new bearing could sieze up.