a-mechanic
a-mechanic, Shop Foreman Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. Chrysler electrical/chassis master. 16 years in Dealerships
10291654

2002 Dodge Dakota: 4x4..000 miles..My check engine light came

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota Quad-cab, 4x4, 4.7L, automatic trans, with 131,000 miles. My check engine light came on and the fault code was P1698 - Manufacturer-specific code (refer to vehicle's service manual. I've talked to AAMCO and they said that for a small fee and 2 or 3 days of having it that they could have my truck fixed. They said that it was probably an electrical issue but it would take some time to get it resolved. Is there any assistance that you could give me that would help me keep from being without my truck for 2 to 3 days. If you have a good solution to this problem and can also include diagrams for it. The truck in the morning time acts as if the overdrive is turned off and the RPMs go above about 2,000 before it wants to move forward. On top of that the little circle that surrounds the position of the transmission (i.e.: P R D 2 1) disappears. Then at some point during the day the simptoms go away but the check engine light stays on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  a-mechanic replied 6 years ago.

Hello.

P1698 means that the pcm has not recieved any communication messages from the transmission control module,TCM.

The odds are that you will need a transmission control module. But there could be a wire problem. If you can when it acts up disconnect it and reconnect it to see if it will reset.

If not test the powers and grounds to the tcm.

#1 is the tcm.

here is the connector pinout

1T1 18LG/BKTRS T1 SENSE
2T4 18PK/ORTRS T2 SENSE
3T3 18VTTRS T3 SENSE
4--
5--
6K24 18GY/BKCRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
7D21 18PKSCI TRANSMIT
8A169 18RD/YLFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (START)
9T9 18OR/BKOVERDRIVE PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE
10T10 18YL/DGTORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE
11F11 18RD/WTFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START-OFF)
12K22 18OR/DBTHROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
13T13 18DB/BKSPEED SENSOR GROUND
14T14 18LG/WTOUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
15T15 18LGTRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL
16T16 18RDTRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT
17T16 18RDTRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT
18T118 18YL/DBPRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL
19T119 18WT/DB2C SOLENOID CONTROL
20T120 18LGL/R SOLENOID CONTROL
21--
22--
23--
24--
25--
26--
27--
28G7 18WT/ORVEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
29T29 18GYUNDERDRIVE PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE
30T39 18GY/LBLINE PRESSURE SENSOR SIGNAL
31--
32--
33--
34--
35--
36T16 18RDTRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT
37Z13 16BK/RDGROUND
38T38 18VT/TN5V SUPPLY
39Z13 16BK/RDGROUND
40T140 18VT/LGMS SOLENOID CONTROL
41Y43 16YLTRS T41 SENSE
42T42 18VT/WTTRS T42 SENSE
43D25 18VT/YLPCI BUS
44--
45--
46D6 18PK/LBSCI RECEIVE
47T47 18YL/BK2C PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE
48T48 18DB4C PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE
49T6 18OR/WTOVERDRIVE OFF SWITCH SENSE
50T50 18DGLOW/REVERSE PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE
51K4 18BK/LBSENSOR GROUND
52T52 18RD/BKINPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
53Z113 16BKGROUND
54T54 18VTTRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
55T59 18PKUNDERDRIVE SOLENOID CONTROL
56F84 16YL/WTFUSED B(+)
57Z13 16BK/RDGROUND
58--
59T159 18DG/WT4C SOLENOID CONTROL
60T60 18BROD SOLENOID CONTROL

By the way do you have remote start ? because this will affect it also.

Experience: ASE Master Tech. Chrysler electrical/chassis master. 16 years in Dealerships
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, i do not have remote start...but thank you very much for the assistance...I will try your ideas to see if they will work...can I purchase the transmission control module, do you have a price of this module...or do i have to take it to a shop and have them replace it...thanks again for your help...Stan
The module will need to be programmed after installation. so it is a shop install. the price is @ $600-$700 at the dealer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your help...Stan