sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2004 Dodge Ram 1500: V6..The temperature gauge reads..hot weather

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 2 WD with a 3.7 V6. The temperature gauge reads to the highest point before the hot sign in warm or hot weather. I need to drive with the heat on to keep it at the 3/4 mark. I''ve changed my cooling fluid (which was clean), Changed the thermostat, replaced the temp. sensor and replace the radiator cap. It still runs hot. It runs hot with the air conditioner on and also with nothing on. Can you help?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.
Your temp gauge should be running slightly under the half way point. Make sure your fan is pulling air. If it is remove the water pump and make sure the impeller is ok. Sometimes they can break off the shaft and not circulate coolant. If the water pump is ok you will need to replace the radiator. Radiator replacement for this problem on 3.7's and 4.7's is common. Flushing the radiator rarely helps on these. You can feel your radiator to see if it is working. The top left side should be the hottest, the bottom right should be the coolest. There should be a fairly gradual temp change. If you feel a cool spot you know that cores are not flowing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: So the first thing I do is see that the fan is pulling air, Then with the engine hot feel the radiator for cool spots and if these both seem to be alright I need to pull the water pump to check the impeller. Would this be the correct way to go about this?
Yes that is right. I really expect it to need a radiator though.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist