sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

i havea 2006 dodge ram 2500 with a cummins engine and I ...

i havea 2006 dodge ram 2500 with a cummins engine and I just got a check engine light with the code cam shaft position sensor what could cause this
It could be a bad cam sensor or wiring. It could also be an erroneous code. That is a code that sets when the problem doesn't really exist. Most of the time this problem can be fixed by reprogramming the engine controller. There have been many software updates for Cummins engines in the last couple of years. The first thing you should do is go to a dealer and make sure the controller software is up to date. If it is, then I would replace the cam sensor. If your truck has less than 100,000 miles on it the repair will be under Cummins warranty no matter what the problem is.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: can one of the high performance programmers cause this problem
Yes. Programmers cause all sorts of problems like this. If you have one on it now return the truck back to stock and see if the code returns. If it doesn't return you know the truck is not broken. If the code does return, take it to the dealer before reinstalling the programmer. If the ecm is reprogrammed by the dealer while you have an aftermarket software in it you will lose the aftermarket software. It will be automatically erased by the reprogramming process.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
will the truck run ok with this problem before i can get it to the dealer
Yes. You may notice a hesitation, long crank time to get it started, or a slight buck onece in a while if there really is a problem, but it won't stop running on you. These trucks will start, run, and drive with the cam signal or the crank signal missing. You have to lose both sensors for the truck to not run.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thats exactly what happened on the thruway a clunk and a slight lost of power then the light came on now it takes long to start
In that case you probably have a bad cam sensor. Take it in if it is under 100,000 miles or if you are out of warranty I can find you a picture of the location if you want to replace it yourself.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i would like to try it myself thanks

It mounts to the timing cover just under the injector pump. It is attached with an allen head bolt.

1-cam sensor