Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dash Gauges not working

Customer Question

The volt, gas, oil and water gauge not working. I changed out the dash and the BCM. still not working. The volt gauge goes to 18 volts when the key is on and stays there.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ms Wrench replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

What is system voltage?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
System voltage is normal 12.6. The gauge goes to 18 volts running or not.It only moves when the key is in the on or run position. The gauge is pegged and the other ones don't move??
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am very disapointed ?? I have no response from you?? You could at least say you don't know??I would accept that instead of nothing?? I am sorry you could not help me. You have helped me in the past.   Mark
Expert:  Ms Wrench replied 8 years ago.

I am so sorry , I was away for a day and your post was no on my question waitng list so I thought someone else helped you. I think your problem is going to turn out to be a bad ground-there are a couple places to check-I'll get the info together and post it shortly.

Sorry again

Ms Wrench

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX the ground on the engine and created an artificoal ground in the wiring at the right kick panel ground wire but I am up to trying anything. Thank You..
Expert:  Ms Wrench replied 8 years ago.

DId you replace the dash with a new unit or a used one? And the BCM? Also do your door dingers etc and dome lights etc work? One more thing I wanted to clear up-did the volts guage do the same thing with both dahsboards and BCM's? Im sorry this has taken so long-if you can answer these few more questions for me then I'll try to respond right away. These answers will tell me if the problem is in the harness or what. The symptoms you describe are very typical of bad solders on the instrument panel, so you can see my dilemma in finding out what changed if anything with the parts you repalced. Thanks for your patience.

Ms Wrench

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You for the reply, The dash was a used one with only 87,000 miles and the BCM was from the same car. Yes the door dinger workes as well as the dome lights. I thought of the contact points also on the gauges and pulled off the back of the panel and cleaned them and reinstalled them. No both dashes didn't do the same thing. The dash from the wrecking yard, the volt gauge didn't even move. I tried switching the BCM with the dashes and the dashes with the BCM. Could it be the computer?? I just can't understand why IO get the spike on the Volt gauge only? and the low gas light is on on the dash, I guess because the gauge is not reading right. I put gas in it and it should not be on. Well good luck trying to help me and Thank You...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So, Still no answer?? No Nothing??