sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2002 dodge ram 2500: 71k mi, ABS and Brake light stayed on..CAB

Customer Question

2002 dodge ram 2500, 71k mi, ABS and Brake light stayed on. Got it Diagnosed to the ABS CAB (circuit malfunction). Replaced the CAB myself. Now there aremore faults than before; wheel speed misaligned (the truck never moved after it was cleared by mechanic), motor malfunction, piston something something.... But the brake light went out and the ABS light now blinks. It passed safety inspection. But I would like to get ABS back, since I towed a tractor and get a heavy load on my truck once in awhile. any ideas short of going to dodge dealer?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.

The new codes are from lack of programming. When the module is replaced the pinion factor has to be programmed with a scan tool. The gear ratio and tire size are programmed into it so the module know how fast you are going. A dealer or someone with and abs capable scan tool will be able to do it in just a few minutes.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: Sounds like it will clear up the speed misalignment, but will that clear the other codes also you think? "Now there aremore faults than before; wheel speed misaligned (the truck never moved after it was cleared by mechanic), motor malfunction, piston something something..." you don't think it is a bad CAB? I might be periniod.. a $250 part. thanks in advance
This will take care of the wheel speed code. On the other 2 codes- are they the same as before you replaced the cab? If not, what were the codes then? Did you replace the cab with a new or used part? Do you remember the actual code numbers?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
only had one code 'motor circuit malfunction' before replaced with a new CAB from dealer. motor works when provided a ground. so Cab was isolated. I can't remember the exact codes now. they were about the actuating pistons, motor malfunction, and one more. Is it that the CAB needs to know that it is on my truck and not an assembly bench? Iknow I am using up your valuable time, I'm sorry. I'm a poor man in Virginia.

Don't worry about using my time. you should double check all of your fuses with a test light with the key turned on to make sure they have power. Even if a fuse is not blown it may not have power and could have fooled you. A blown fuse will cause your problem. This may be hard to diagnose without a scan tool to actauate the motor but we will get it figured out. Let me know what you find with the fuses, see if you can get the pinion factor programmed and let me know what happens. I cannot constantly monitor the computer this afternoon but I will be in and out and will be on later tonight for sure so don't think I have abandoned you if I do not respond right away.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I will let you know what I find out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Good Morning, long day yesterday. I checked and double checked both fuses and fuse sockets, motor runs when provided a ground. still blinking ABS light. Dodge Dealer is the only one available to program the CAB. Service Manager agreed the CAB needs to be "programmed for your truck instead of an assembly bench" and the "makes no sense codes will be cleared". Another $100 and waiting until Monday for them to get to it, then I will see the total cost of having ABS on my Dodge again. This is the best truck I have had so far,it is worth the upkeep. Thank you again for your help. I will update you when this issue is done and maybe it will help someone else in the future. Have a great day.
Let me know if you need anything else.