sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1998 DODGE: NO SPARK, FUEL PUMP DOES NOT RUN- CHECKED ASD RELAY OKAY

i HAVE 1998 DODGE RAM- NO SPARK, FUEL PUMP DOES NOT RUN- CHECKED ASD RELAY OKAY. ANY SUGGESTIONS
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, with your key on and engine off does your check engine lite come on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND THEN GOES OFF
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, after the engine lite goes do you hear the fuel pump energize?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO THE FUEL PUMP DOES NOT RUN, AND THERE IS NO SPARK TO COIL. I ALSO TRIED APPLING VOLTAGE TO COIL + BUT STILL NOTHING. THE TRUCK RAN FINE, SOMEONE PUT A BOOSTER ON IT WHEN IT DIED, BUT I SUSPECT IT WAS CONNECTED BACKWARDS. HEARD A POP AND NO LONGER STARTED?
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, you said you checked all fuses and all were ok, with the key on and the head lites on do they all have battery voltage, if not let me know the fuse numbers without battery voltage.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I VISIBLY CHECKED ALL FUSES, SHOULD I USE A TEST LIGHT ON EVERY FUSE TO CHECK ?
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, yes as I said check both sides of the fuses with the key on and the head lites on I need to know what circuits have power before I can say what is wrong. Be decriptive about what fuse do not have power, or we can go to the crystal ball method.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I WILL TRY TESTING THEM ALL- ALSO THE FUEL GAUGE DOES NOT WORK- JUST MORE BACKGROUND INFO
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
HI there, fuel guage inop does not matter, but thanks for the information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ALL FUSES TESTED FINE, EXCEPT FOR -
15 AMP OXY SSR IN UNDERHOOD FUSE BOX
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, there is no voltage on this fuse, either side?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
EITHER SIDE HAS NO VOLTAGE.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
Hi there this may be what I am looking for. I have enough information to do my research. Give me some time and I will find the answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OKAY- THANK YOU- I WILL BE ANXIOUSLY WAITING
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OKAY-TAHNK YOU
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IT HAS BEEN A FEW HOURS, WILL I BE GETTING A RESPONSE SOMETIME TODAY?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Clayso does not appear to be answering your question, so I will help you now. I need you to check a couple things. First I need to know if you have spark. Use a spark tester or you could place a screwdriver in the end of a plug wire, set it so the metal is 1/4 to 1/2" from some metal on the engine and watch for spark. Let me know what you find. I also need you to check some voltages with a meter. Unplug the Map sensor at the throttle body, check the wires. One will have ground, the other 2 will have very close to 5 volts. Let me know what you see. I would also like you to unplug one of the injectors. You will need a helper. Put a test light on one of the pins of the injector connector, use a paperclip on the other end of the test light to probe the other pin of the connector. You will have both ends of the test light connected to the injector connector. Have the helper crank the engine. Watch for the test light to flash while cranking. Let me know what you see.
Almost forgot a picture of the map sensor.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I CAN NOT PERFORM THE MAP TEST- NO VOLT METER.

THERE IS NO SPARK, AND NO FLASH ON THE INJECTOR TEST
I belive that putting the jump box on it backwards has ruined the pcm. This is the module that controls the engine. I need you to check some things at the pcm connectors with your test light. The pcm is the box with the 3 connectors going into it bolted to the firewall on the passenger side. There are 4 wires I need you to find. They are all in the same connector. It should be the connector on the right side of the truck. If you cannot find the wires they could be in the connector on the left of the truck. I will warn you now that I am having trouble with my service information. If any of this doesn't seem right let me know, and I will check in the paper manual tomorrow and be sure. Anyway... in that connector look for a light green/black wire. this wire should be hot with the key on. Look for the red/white wire, also hot with the key on. Look for 2 black and tan wires next to each other. They should both have ground. Let me know what you find, or if my info does not seem right.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OKAY-

RED/WHITE WIRE- HOT WITH IGNITION ON AND OFF
LIGHT GREEN/BLK WIRE- NO POWER
2 BLK AND TAN WIRES- NO POWER (NUETRAL)
Now we are getting somewhere! There is a 10 amp fuse in the fusebox inside the truck. (The box when you open the driver door) Fuse number 9, 10 amp. This fuse powers the wire you don't have powered up, the fuel pump relay, and the asd relay. A blown fuse here would account for all of your symptoms. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I REPLACED THE FUSE, AND NOW HAVE POWER TO THAT WIRE. I NOW HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE BATTERY TO CHARGE UP BEFORE I CAN TRY STARTING.

I DID NOTICE THAT THE FUEL PUMP STILL DID NOT KICK ON WHEN I TURNED THE KEY TO RUN, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THERE JUST ISN'T ENOUGH JUICE IN THE BATTERY TO START THE FUEL PUMP?

The battery may be low enough to not run the pump. We have definitely made progress here, I think it may run once you get the battery charged. Let's hope. I am excited to see what happens. Let me know!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
still no luck- HOOKED UP TO ANOTHER VEHICLE-TRIED JUMP STARTING- STILL NO SPARK- NO FUEL-NO START

UGHHHH
We really need to know if the pcm is awake. You need to see if you can get a hold of a volt meter or a code reader. Having both would be great. That way we could see what codes are in it and do some more testing. You can get a cheap voltmeter at Radio shack, Wal Mart, or a parts store for $5 that will work just fine. Now that we know the pcm has power and ground we need to see if it is awake. If it is not awake we can condemn it.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 years ago.
HI there, $50.00 says the PCM is bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Clayso's Post: do you know approximately how much that costs and is that something that needs to be programmed. I am suspecting the pcm as well considering that is where the "pop" sound came from??
I can't give you the exact cost but a ballpark would be somewhere around $300 for a remanufactured one. I can't get you the exact part number without the vin and I do not have access to the remanufactured parts catalog. The one I looked up (guessing on the emmisions package) cost $570 new, reman is definitely the way to go. Technically the vin and mileage have to be programmed by the dealer after the new one is installed, but the truck will run just fine if you do not. You do not have the sentry key system to worry about programming and the old JTEC controllers do not need to be flashed when they are installed, they are programmed at the factory. I have to get offline now, I will be back in the morning.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist