Larry
Larry, Service manager
Experience:  19 years gold certified

2001 Dodge Caravan: the gauges on the dashboard..indicators..tight

Customer Question

We have a 2001 Dodge Caravan and all the gauges on the dashboard and the turn indicators quit at the same time. What could be the problem and can my husband fix it? We just moved back here from OK and haven''t gotten a job yet so finances are a little tight. First thing one place wanted to do was a diagnostic test for $60 an hour. Can''t afford that. Any suggestions that would be a fix and my husband could repair. Please Help or ask me any other questions you may need. Thanks in Advance. SUZY
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Larry replied 5 years ago.

Hi suzy

hope this helps some.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS

The instrument clusters are equipped with a self diagnostic test feature to help identify electronic problems. Prior to any test, perform the Self-Diagnostic Test. The self diagnostic system displays instrument cluster stored fault codes in the odometer display, sweeps the gauges to the calibration points, and bulb checks the warning indicators. When the key is in the ON position with the engine not running, the MIL will remain illuminated for regulatory purposes.

To activate the Self-Diagnostic program:

1. With the ignition switch in the OFF position, depress the TRIP ODOMETER RESET button.
  2. Continue to hold the TRIP ODOMETER RESET button until Sof and a number (software version number (i.e. Sof 3.2) appears in the odometer window (about five seconds) then release the button. If a fault code is present, the cluster will display it in the odometer display. When all fault codes have been displayed, the cluster will display "end" in the odometer display. Refer to the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DTC'S table to determine what each trouble code means.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DTC'S

DTC DESCRIPTION
    100.0 LOOP-BACK FAILURE
    100.1 ABS COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.2 BCM COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.3 EATX COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.4 FCM COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.5 ORC COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.6 SBEC/DEC/MCM COMMUNICATION FAULT
    200.0 AIRBAG LED SHORT
    200.1 AIRBAG LED OPEN
    200.2 ABS LED SHORT
    200.3 ABS LED OPEN
    200.6 EL INVERTER TIME-OUT
    200.7 EATX MISMATCH

CALIBRATION TEST

The CLUSTER CALIBRATION table contains the proper calibration points for each gauge. If the gauge pointers are not calibrated, a problem exists in the cluster. If any gauge is out of calibration, replace the cluster.

CLUSTER CALIBRATION

SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATION POINT
1 0 MPH (0 KM/H)
2 20 MPH (40 KM/H)
3 60 MPH (100 KM/H)
4 100 MPH (160 KM/H)
TACHOMETER
1 0 RPM
2 1000 RPM
3 3000 RPM
4 6000 RPM
FUEL GAUGE
1 EMPTY
2 1/4 FILLED
3 1/2 FILLED
4 FULL
TEMPERATURE GAUGE
1 COLD
2 1/4
3 3/4
4 HOT

ODOMETER SEGMENT TEST

If a segment in the odometer does not illuminate normally, a problem exists in the display.

ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION RANGE INDICATOR SEGMENT TEST

If a segment in the transmission range indicator does not illuminate normally, a problem exists in the display.

CONDITIONS

Refer to the following tables for possible problems, causes, and corrections.

NOTE: Always check the functionality of the cluster by running the self test prior to troubleshooting.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER INOPERATIVE.

NO RESPONSE FROM INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.

NO PCI BUS MESSAGES FROM THE BCM. USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK THE BCM. IF OK, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE FOR CLUSTER FAILURE. IF NOT OK, REFER TO THE PROPER BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL.
SPREAD TERMINAL(S) ON WIRING HARNESS CLUSTER CONNECTOR. REMOVE CLUSTER FROM INSTRUMENT PANEL AND CHECK WIRING HARNESS CONNECTOR FOR SPREAD TERMINAL. IF OK, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE FOR THE CLUSTER FAILURE. IF NOT OK, REPAIR CONNECTOR.
BCM IS NOT RECEIVING PROPER INPUT FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH. 1. USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO VERIFY IGNITION SWITCH STATUS INTO THE BCM. IF NOT OK, GO TO STEP (2). IF OK, LOOK AT ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
2. CHECK IGNITION SWITCH FUNCTION AND WIRING.
INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. REPLACE CLUSTER.
WAKE UP CIRCUIT FAULTY. VERIFY CONTINUITY OF WAKE UP CIRCUIT FROM BCM TO MIC. CIRCUIT SHALL BE LOW WHENEVER BCM IS AWAKE.
POWER OR GROUND MISSING. IF NO RESPONSE FROM THE MIC, CHECK FOR POWER AND GROUND AT THE MIC CONNECTOR. REFER TO WIRING DIAGRAMS FOR CONNECTOR CALL OUTS.

SPEEDOMETER DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
NO POINTER MOVEMENT 1. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 1.A. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND CHECK FOR FAULT CODES.
• IF SPEEDOMETER POINTER MOVES TO CALIBRATION POINTS DURING TEST LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
• IF THE POINTER DOESN'T MOVE DURING TEST, CHECK FOR POWER AND GROUND TO THE MIC. IF POWER AND GROUND ARE PRESENT GO TO STEP 1.B.
1.B. REPLACE CLUSTER. GO TO STEP 1.C.
1.C. CONNECT CLUSTER INTO INSTRUMENT PANEL WIRING HARNESS. PLACE IT BACK INTO THE PROPER POSITION IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL. PUT IN THE TOP FOUR MOUNTING SCREWS AND SECURE THE CLUSTER TO THE INSTRUMENT PANEL.
2. NO SPEED PCI BUS MESSAGE OR ZERO MPH PCI SPEED BUS MESSAGE. 2.A. CHECK THE PCM (CODE 10) USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. IF OK, GO TO STEP 2.B. IF NOT OK, REFER TO THE PROPER ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO REPAIR THE PCM.
2.B. CHECK THE SPEED SIGNAL INPUT INTO THE PCM. THE SPEED SIGNAL ORIGINATES FROM ONE OF THE FOLLOWING SOURCES:
• A DISTANCE SENSOR FOR VEHICLES WITH 3 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. CHECK CONTINUITY FROM DISTANCE SENSOR TO PCM. IF OK, REPLACE DISTANCE SENSOR. IF NOT OK, REPAIR WIRING.
• THE TCM FOR VEHICLES WITH THE 4 SPEED ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSIONS. CHECK CONTINUITY FROM TCM TO PCM. IF OK, USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK TCM. REFER TO THE PROPER TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO REPAIR THE TCM. IF NOT OK, REPAIR WIRING.
ERRATIC POINTER MOVEMENT 1. ERRATIC MESSAGE FROM ANOTHER MODULE. 1.A. CHECK THE BCM USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL IF OK, GO TO STEP 1.B. IF NOT OK, REFER TO THE PROPER BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO REPAIR THE BCM.
1.B. CHECK THE PCM USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. IF OK, GO TO STEP 1.C. IF NOT OK, REFER TO THE ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO REPAIR THE PCM.
1.C. CHECK THE SPEED SIGNAL INPUT INTO THE PCM. THE SPEED SIGNAL ORIGINATES FROM ONE OF THE FOLLOWING SOURCES:
• THE TCM FOR VEHICLES WITH THE 4 SPEED ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSIONS. CHECK CONTINUITY FROM TCM TO ENGINE CONTROLLER. IF OK, USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK TCM. REFER TO THE PROPER TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO REPAIR THE TCM. IF NOT OK, REPAIR WIRING.
2. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 2.A. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND CHECK FOR FAULT CODES.
• IF THE POINTER MOVES DURING TEST BUT STILL APPEARS ERRATIC, THEN GO TO STEP 2.B.
2.B. REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
SPEEDOMETER INACCURATE. 1. SPEEDOMETER OUT OF CALIBRATION. 1.A. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST.
• IF SPEEDOMETER IS ACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS THEN LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF INACCURACY.
• IF SPEEDOMETER IS NOT ACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
2. WRONG SPEEDOMETER PINION SIZE FOR TIRE SIZE. 2.A. IF VEHICLE HAS A 4 SPEED ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION GO TO STEP 2.C. OTHERWISE GO TO STEP 2.B.
2.B. CHECK IF CORRECT SPEEDOMETER PINION IS BEING USED WITH TIRES ON VEHICLE. REFER TO TRANSMISSION FOR DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING.
• IF THE INCORRECT PINION IS IN TRANSMISSION THEN REPLACE WITH CORRECT PINION.
• IF THE CORRECT PINION IS IN THE TRANSMISSION, CHECK TIRE SIZE.
2.C. USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK THE TCM TO SEE IF THE CORRECT TIRE SIZE HAS BEEN PROGRAMMED INTO THE TCM.
• IF THE INCORRECT TIRE SIZE WAS SELECTED, SELECT THE PROPER TIRE SIZE.
• IF THE CORRECT TIRE SIZE WAS SELECTED, CHECK SPEED SENSOR.
3. BAD SPEED SENSOR. 3. REFER TO TRANSMISSION, SPEED SENSOR, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING.

TACHOMETER DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
IF TACHOMETER POINTER MOVES TO CALIBRATION POINTS DURING TEST, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
1.B. REPLACE CLUSTER. GO TO STEP 1.C.
2. "NO RPM" PCI BUS MESSAGE OR "ZERO RPM" PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM PCM. 2. CHECK THE PCM USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. REFER TO THE PROPER ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
ERRATIC POINTER MOVEMENT. 1. BAD PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM PCM. 1. CHECK THE PCM USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. REFER TO THE PROPER ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
• IF THE POINTER MOVES DURING TEST BUT STILL APPEARS ERRATIC, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
TACHOMETER INACCURATE. TACHOMETER OUT OF CALIBRATION. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST.
• IF TACHOMETER IS ACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF INACCURACY.
  • IF TACHOMETER IS NOT ACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.

FUEL GAUGE DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
NO POINTER MOVEMENT. 1. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 1.A. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST.
• IF FUEL GAUGE POINTER MOVES TO CALIBRATION POINTS, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
• IF THE POINTER DOESN'T MOVE DURING TEST, VERIFY POWER AND GROUND ARE BEING PROVIDED TO THE CLUSTER. IF YES, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY. IF NO, DETERMINE CAUSE OF NO POWER OR GROUND.
2. NO PCI FUEL MESSAGE OR EMPTY PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM BODY CONTROLLER. 2.A. CHECK THE BCM USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. IF OK, GO TO STEP 2.B. IF NOT OK, REFER TO THE PROPER BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
2.B. REFER TO THE FUEL SECTION OF THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR THE FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT TEST PROCEDURE. TEST UNIT AND REPAIR AS INSTRUCTED.
ERRATIC POINTER MOVEMENT. 1. BAD PCI FUEL MESSAGE FROM THE BODY CONTROLLER. 1. USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK THE BCM. IF OK, GO TO STEP 2. IF NOT OK, REFER TO THE PROPER BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
2. REFER TO THE FUEL SECTION OF THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR THE FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT TEST PROCEDURE. TEST UNIT. IF OK, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE FOR FUEL GAUGE FAILURE. IF NOT OK, REPAIR SENDING UNIT.
2. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 2. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND CHECK FOR FAULT CODES.
FUEL GAUGE INACCURATE. 1. FUEL GAUGE OUT OF CALIBRATION. 1. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST. IF POINTER IS ACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE. IF POINTER IS INACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
2. FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT IS OUT OF CALIBRATION. 2. REFER TO THE FUEL SECTION OF THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR TESTING AND REPAIR PROCEDURE.

TEMPERATURE GAUGE DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
NO POINTER MOVEMENT 1. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 1. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND CHECK.
• IF TEMPERATURE GAUGE POINTER MOVES TO CALIBRATION POINTS, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
• IF THE POINTER DOESN'T MOVE DURING TEST, VERIFY POWER AND GROUND ARE BEING PROVIDED TO THE CLUSTER. IF YES, REPLACE CLUSTER. IF NO, DETERMINE CAUSE OF NO POWER OR NO GROUND.
2. NO PCI TEMPERATURE MESSAGE OR COLD PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE. 2.A. CHECK PCM FAULT CODES USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. IF THERE ARE NO FAULTS, GO TO STEP 2.B. IF THERE ARE FAULTS, REFER TO THE PROPER ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
2.B. REFER TO FUEL, COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING. REPAIR SENSOR AS NEEDED.
ERRATIC POINTER MOVEMENT. 1. BAD PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE. 1.A. CHECK PCM FAULT CODES USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. IF THERE ARE NO FAULTS, GO TO STEP 1.B. IF THERE ARE FAULTS, REFER TO THE ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
1.B. REFER TO FUEL, COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING. REPAIR SENSOR AS NEEDED.
TEMPERATURE GAUGE INACCURATE. 1. TEMPERATURE GAUGE OUT OF CALIBRATION. 1. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST.
• IF POINTER IS ACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
• IF POINTER IS INACCURATE TO THE CALIBRATION POINTS, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
2. COOLANT SENSOR OUT OF CALIBRATION. 2. REFER TO FUEL, COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR FOR TEST AND REPAIR PROCEDURE.

ODOMETER DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
NO DISPLAY 1. NO PCI BUS ODOMETER MESSAGE FROM BCM. 1. USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK THE BCM. REFER TO THE PROPER BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
• IF ODOMETER PASSES THE SEGMENT CHECK, LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE. IF IT FAILS VERIFY POWER AND GROUND ARE BEING PROVIDED TO THE CLUSTER. IF YES, REPLACE CLUSTER. IF NO, DETERMINE CAUSE OF NO POWER OR GROUND.
ERRATIC DISPLAY 1. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 1.A. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND CHECK FOR FAULT CODES.
• IF ODOMETER PASSES THE SEGMENT TEST, FAILURE MAY NOT BE IN THE CLUSTER. LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
VERIFY GOOD POWER AND GROUND CONNECTIONS. IF CONNECTIONS ARE GOOD AND NO OTHER PROBLEMS ARE FOUND, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
2. BAD PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM THE BCM. 2. USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK THE BCM. REFER TO THE PROPER BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
ODOMETER WON'T GO INTO TRIP MODE. TRIP SWITCH DOESN'T WORK. IF CLUSTER WILL NOT GO INTO SELF DIAGNOSTIC MODE AND CANNOT TOGGLE BETWEEN ODOMETER AND TRIP ODOMETER, REPLACE CLUSTER.
TRIP ODOMETER WON'T RESET. RESET SWITCH DOESN'T WORK. IF CLUSTER WILL NOT GO INTO SELF DIAGNOSTIC MODE AND TRIP ODOMETER WILL NOT RESET, REPLACE CLUSTER.

ELECTRONIC GEAR INDICATOR DISPLAY DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
NO DISPLAY 1. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 1. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND CHECK FOR FAULT CODES.
• IF PRND3L (PRND1234 IF AUTOSTICK EQUIPPED) PASSES THE SEGMENT CHECK, THEN FAILURE MAY NOT BE IN THE CLUSTER. LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE. IF IT FAILS, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
ERRATIC DISPLAY 1. INTERNAL CLUSTER FAILURE. 1. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND CHECK FOR FAULT CODES.
• IF PRND3L (PRND1234 IF AUTOSTICK EQUIPPED) PASSES THE SEGMENT CHECK, THEN FAILURE MAY NOT BE IN THE CLUSTER. LOOK FOR ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE OF FAILURE.
2. BAD PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM THE TCM. 2. USE A DRB III® SCAN TOOL TO CHECK THE TCM. REFER TO THE PROPER TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.
ALL SEGMENTS ARE ON 1. NO PCI BUS MESSAGE FROM THE TCM. 1.A. PERFORM CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST. IF PRND3L (PRND1234 IF AUTOSTICK EQUIPPED) PASSES TEST GO TO STEP 1.B. IF PRND3L (PRND1234 IF AUTOSTICK EQUIPPED) FAILS TEST, REPLACE CLUSTER ASSEMBLY.
1.B. CHECK THE TCM USING A DRB III® SCAN TOOL. REFER TO THE PROPER TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES MANUAL TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR.

MECHANICAL TRANSMISSION RANGE INDICATOR (PRND21) DIAGNOSIS

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
INDICATOR DOES NOT SHOW PROPER GEAR OR NO INDICATION. MIS-ADJUSTED 1.A. VERIFY TRANSMISSION SHIFT SYSTEM IS CORRECTLY ADJUSTED.
1.B. VERIFY CORRECT ROUTING AND ATTACHMENT OF PRNDL CABLE AND GUIDE TUBE.
1.C. RE-ADJUST PRNDL INDICATOR IN NEUTRAL USING ADJUSTER WHEEL BELOW STEERING COLUMN.
INDICATOR DOES NOT FOLLOW GEAR SHIFT LEVER. NOT ATTACHED 1.A. VERIFY INDICATOR CABLE CONNECTED TO SHIFT LEVER PIN IN THE GROOVE.
1.B. VERIFY THAT THE INDICATOR CLIP IS SECURE, AND ATTACHED TO THE MOUNTING BRACKET. MAKE SURE THAT THE CLIP IS NOT BROKEN. IF THE CLIP IS BROKEN, REPLACE CLIP ON INDICATOR.
INDICATOR DOES NOT MAKE FULL TRAVEL ("P" < > "1"). 1. CABLE DISLODGED FROM ITS PATH ON THE INDICATOR BASE. 1. VERIFY CORRECT ATTACHMENT OF INDICATOR CABLE TO SHIFT LEVER PIN (UNDER HOOP OF TRANS. SHIFT CABLE) AND CLIP ONTO THE MOUNTING BRACKET.
2. INCORRECT ATTACHMENT OF CABLE TO SHIFT LEVER PIN. 2. VERIFY INDICATOR TRAVEL BY PULLING ON CABLE GENTLY OVER FULL TRAVEL RANGE. IF THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM, REMOVE CLUSTER TO ACCESS INDICATOR BASE AND CONFIRM CABLE PATH.