Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

99 Dodge: Ram Van..blower motor..The A/C compressor clicks on

I have a 99 Dodge 1500 Ram Van. The 4-position blower motor switch does not work on any speed. The A/C compressor clicks on. I have checked the 5 wires going to the switch with my test light and I get a faint light at one of the terminals. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tom

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will have power at the blower motor when the key is on. When you select the blower speed, it will be grounded by the switch, through the blower resistor.

If you are only getting a dim light at one wire, (at the switch) then you will want to check the resistor.

The front blower motor resistor is mounted to the inboard side of the heater-A/C housing in the engine compartment. It is held in by 2 small screws, (7mm I think) and you might see the problem if you take it out. The coil inside may have come apart.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX taken out the resistor, cleaned it, checked for continuity, and it is ok. I also checked the blower switch on the dash for continuity and it is ok too. I have checked all the fuses in the fuse block on the side of the dash and the 50 amp fuse in the box under the hood and they are ok. Could the blower be bad? Not sure where to look for that or where to go from here.

You might want to check the voltage, (power) at the blower motor to see. There should be power all the time, (when the key is on) on the dark blue wire and the light green and white wire should be grounded. That should make the blower come on if it is good.

You can test it with a test light and see if it will light when you go from the one wire to the other.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where are those wires?

Oh, sorry. Right at the blower motor under the hood. I can't get any pictures to copy. I did manage to get this one, see if that helps

Click image to see an enlarged viewView of the heater & A/C housing (1), mounting screws (2), connector (3), blower motor (4), cooling tube (5), blower housing cover (6) and rubber seal (7)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, it is fixed. I located the blower and found the wires were unhooked - not sure why. I have only owned the Van for a month. Checked the blue wire and found power, plugged the wires together and nothing. I tapped the blower housing once with my hammer and it started right up. Guess I will be looking for a new blower motor. Thanks for the help. Tom
Your welcome and good luck with it. I wonder if someone unplugged it because it was blowing the fuse or shorting out.....You might want to replace it if it gives you any more problems, let us know if we can help, thanks