Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge Caravan: the starter located, what tools will I need, is

I need to replace the starter on my ''99 Dodge Caravan. Where is the starter located, what tools will I need, is ths a fairly easy repalcement?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It's not so bad. The starter is under the van at the bottom of the engine. You will just need some basic hand tools, (13mm socket, 15mm socket, ratchet, 10mm wrench) Here are the step by step instructons for it. Along with some pictures.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
  3. Disengage the solenoid wiring connector from the terminal. This connection may be held in place by a retaining nut, or it could be a push-in connector.
  4. Remove the B+ nut and wire from the starter motor terminal.
  5. Remove the starter motor-to-transaxle bellhousing mounting bolts.
  6. Remove the starter from the vehicle. If equipped, remove the starter motor spacer.

To install:

• If equipped, hold the starter motor spacer in position.
  • Install the starter motor into position on the vehicle.
  • Install the starter motor-to-transaxle bellhousing mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
  • Engage the solenoid wiring connector onto the starter terminal.
  • Connect the B+ wire and tighten the retaining nut to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Connect the negative battery cable.
  • Verify starter motor operation.
  • Jerry, Master Mechanic
    Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to Super Mechanic's Post: are the arrows for Battery and Solenoid correct in first picture?
    The B+ nut does this mean Black positive?