sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How to replace an evaporator on a 2000 dodge durango 4.7 ...

How to replace an evaporator on a 2000 dodge durango 4.7 engXXXXX
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

You are going to have to have an a/c recovery machine to evacuate, vacuum and recharge the a/c syst\em. You have to remove the whole instrument panel and lay across the seats, and then remove the heater box. You will disassemble the bos to get to the evaporator. Reassemble, vacuum the system and recharge it. If you want to do it yourself and don't have access to an a/c machine you could go to a shop or dealer and have them evacuate it and recharge it after you are done with the repair. I enclosed the instructions. This is a very big job for alot of do-it-yourselfers. It would be best if you bought a manual for it before you started. Good luck, and if you run into any problems or need anything else let me know.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the trim from the right and left front door sills. .
  3. Remove the trim from the left and right cowl side inner panels.
  4. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel. .
  5. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement and lower the release handle to the floor.
  6. Disconnect the driver side airbag module wire harness connector from the instrument panel wire harness at the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  7. If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the overdrive lockout switch wire harness connector from the instrument panel wire harness near the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  8. Remove the steering column from the vehicle, but do not remove the driver side airbag module, the steering wheel, or the switches from the steering column. Be certain that the steering wheel is locked and secured from rotation to prevent the loss of clockspring centering.
  9. From under the driver side of the instrument panel, perform the following:
    1. Remove the screw from the center of the headlamp and dash to instrument panel bulkhead wire harness connector and disconnect the connector.
    2. Disconnect the two body wire harness connectors from the two instrument panel wire harness connectors that are secured to the outboard side of the instrument panel bulkhead connector.
    3. Disconnect the three wire harness connectors (one from the body wire harness, and two from the headlamp and dash wire harness) from the three junction block connector receptacles located closest to the dash panel.
    4. Unsnap the plastic retainer clip that secures the park brake release linkage rod to the lever on the back side of the park brake release handle and disengage the linkage rod end from the lever on the handle.
    5. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch connector receptacle.
    6. Disconnect the vacuum harness connector located near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  10. Remove the center support bracket from the instrument panel. Remove the screw that secures the instrument panel wire harness ground eyelets to the left side of the Airbag Control Module (ACM) mount on the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  11. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the ACM connector receptacle.
  12. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel. Refer to Glove Box in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
  13. Reaching through the instrument panel glove box opening, perform the following:
    1. Disconnect the two halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable connector near the center of the lower instrument panel glove box opening.
    2. Disengage the antenna half of the radio antenna coaxial cable from the retainer clip near the outboard side of the lower instrument panel glove box opening.
    3. Disconnect the blower motor wire harness connector located near the heater-A/C housing support brace on the inboard side of the instrument panel glove box opening.
  14. From under the passenger side of the instrument panel, perform the following:
    1. If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the Infinity speaker amplifier connector receptacles on the right cowl side inner panel.
    2. Remove the nut that secures the instrument panel wire harness radio ground eyelet to the stud on the right cowl side inner panel.
  15. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about 6 mm (0.25 inch) I
  16. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  17. Pull the lower instrument panel rearward until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets
  18. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
  19. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position:
    1. Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the door jumper wire harness connectors located on a bracket near the right end of the instrument panel.
    2. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the blower motor resistor connector receptacle on the dash panel.
    3. Disconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing and pull the cable core adjuster clip off of the blend-air door lever.
    4. Disconnect the demister duct flexible hose from the adapter on the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  20. With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle or lay it across the seats.

Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. Remove the front expansion valve from the evaporator tube mounting flange. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Remove the four nuts from the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel Disengage the front floor panel transmission tunnel duct from the adapter on the heater-A/C housing. Remove the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Pull the heater-A/C housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

Disassemble the heater box and replace evaporator.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist