RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Adv Level, Ca Smog License, Chrysler Aftermarket Training.
1100518

95 dodge dakota hase no spark

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

1. Is it an '85 or '95 Dakota?
  2. Does the check enigne lamp come on when you first turn the key to the ON position, like it should?
  3. Are you checking for spark out of a plug wire or at the ignition coil?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
95 lite comes on checked at the spark plug
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX engine lamp illuminating during the self-check is a good sign, becuase these have problems with the computer and the ASD (AutoShutdown Relay) circuit, which in most cases causes the lamp to not come on, indicating the fault. The coil is another common problem, so if you have replaced that, we can we can elliminate it as a possibility. You may have a faulty CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor). The CKP is used by the engine computer to fire the ignition coil at the right increments, and is a very common failure. But it requires the use of a factory level scan tool and an oscilliscope to test it.

The first step is to check for spark at the coil tower. To do this you can attatch a ground wire from the battery negative terminal, remove the lead off the coil tower. Have an assistant crank the enigne and hold the test wire about 1/2" from the coil tower. You should see a spark jump to the test wire. If so, than either the lead from the coil to the distributor cap is bad, or the cap or ignition rotor is at fault. If there still is no spark from the coil, you'll need to test for good voltage to the Dark Green/ orange stripped wire to the coil's electrical connector. With the key in the ON position, if there is no power to the coil, we'll need to test the ASD relay circuit further. You'll need a decent voltmeter or multimeter for the voltage tests. If the voltage is good, and there is no spark from the coil, then the CKP will be the most likley suspect.

Below is some information on the CKP sensor:

OPERATION

The crankshaft position sensor is found on 1992-96 V6 and V8 engines, as well as on the 1994-96 V10 engines, and 1996 2.5L 4-cylinder models. The sensor generates pulses and sends them to the engine controller. The controller interprets this input signal to determine the crankshaft position (and engine speed). With this and other information, the engine controller determines injector sequence and ignition timing. The sensor is a hall effect device combined with an internal magnet. It is sensitive to steel within a certain distance from it.

On the 4-cylinder engine the crankshaft position sensor is mounted to the transmission bell housing. On the V6 and V8 engines, the crankshaft position sensor is bolted to the cylinder block near the rear of the right cylinder head. On the V10 engine, the crankshaft position sensor is located on the right-lower side of the cylinder block, just above the oil pan rail.

TESTING

See Figure 1

The only test you can perform without a DRBII scan tool, or equivalent, is a basic check of the sensor only.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: End view of the crankshaft position sensor connector and terminal identification-2.5L engine

1. Near the rear of the intake manifold, unplug the sensor pigtail harness connector from the main wire harness connector.

2. Set the ohmmeter to the 1K-10K scale. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (see the illustration). The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). If a low resistance is read, replace the camshaft position sensor.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.5L Engine

See Figure 2

1. Near the rear of the intake manifold, disconnect the pigtail harness from the sensor.

2. Remove the nut holding the sensor wire clip to the fuel rail mounting stud.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Crankshaft position sensor location-4-cylinder engine

1. Remove the sensor mounting hardware, then the sensor.

2. Remove the clip from the sensor wire harness.

To install:

1. Install the sensor flush against the opening in the transmission bell housing.

2. Install and tighten the bolts or nuts, as applicable, to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).

3. Install the electrical connector.

4. Install the clip on the sensor wire harness.

5. Install the clip over the fuel rail mounting stud. Install the clip mounting nut.

V6 and V8 engines

See Figure 3

1. Remove the air cleaner assembly.

2. Unplug the wire from the sensor.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Crankshaft position sensor location-V6 and V8 engines

1. Unbolt then remove the sensor from the engine.

To install:

1. Position the sensor to the engine, then install the mounting bolts, tightening them to 70 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

2. Install the air cleaner assembly.

V10 Engine

See Figure 4

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2. Unplug the sensor harness connector from the engine harness.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Crankshaft position sensor location-V10 engine

1. Remove the sensor mounting bolt.

2. Carefully pry the sensor from the timing chain case/cover in a rocking action with two small prytools.

3. Remove the sensor. Check the condition of the sensor O-ring.

To install:

1. Apply a small amount of fresh engine oil to the sensor O-ring.

2. Using a slight rocking action, install the sensor into the timing case/cover until the paper spacer just contacts the gear. Do not twist the sensor or you may tear the O-ring.

3. Install the mounting bolt, tightening it to 70 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

4. Connect the sensor wiring.

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Adv Level, Ca Smog License, Chrysler Aftermarket Training.