Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.
9358908

REPLACE THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS ON A 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 2WD?

HOW DO YOU REPLACE THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS ON A 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 2WD?

Hi There, hang the caliper with wire or string. Lug nut torque is 95 foot pounds.

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove the caliper adapter bolts from the steering knuckle and remove caliper adapter assembly. NOTE: Do not allow brake hose to support caliper adapter assembly.
  4. Remove the rotor from the hub/bearing wheel studs.

1. Remove the hub/bearing nut and slide the hub/bearing off the spindle. CAUTION: The hub/bearing nut can not be re-used.

INSTALLATION

1. On models with all-wheel antilock system (ABS), check condition of tone wheel on hub/bearing. If teeth on wheel are damaged, hub/bearing assembly will have to be replaced (tone wheel is not serviced separately).
    2. Slide the hub/bearing onto the spindle.
    3. Install the new hub/bearing nut and tighten to:
      • LD 1500: 251 Nm (185 ft. lbs.)
    1. Install the rotor onto hub/bearing wheel studs.
    2. Install the caliper adapter assembly and tighten adapter bolts to:
      • LD 1500: 176 Nm (130 ft. lbs.)
    1. Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle.
    2. Apply brakes several times to seat brake shoes. Be sure to obtain firm pedal before moving vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MY 2001 RAM 1500 2WD DOES NOT HAVE AN ABS SYSTEM. THE PARTS STORE SOLD ME A HUB/BEARING UNIT WITH THE ABS GEAR. THEY SAID THAT THEIR MANUAL DID NOT SHOW AN ALTERNATE W/O THE GEAR RING. THEY SAID THAT I COULD SIMPLY KNOCK THE GEAR RING OFF THE HUB. IS THAT TRUE? ALSO, WHAT SIZE IS THE HUB/BEARING NUT? THE STORE DID NOT OFFER A NEW NUT, THE LARGEST SOCKET I OWN IS     1 1/4".

I LIVE IN A REMOTE AREA AND DON'T HAVE MUCH CHOICE IN PARTS STORES.

THANKS,

CHARLES
Hi there install the bearing hub assembly I do not think the tone ring is a matter at all there is nothing for it to hit, I believe the socket size is 1 inch and 11/16.