vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

Neon: the horn

the horn on my neon does not work and it costs a lot of money to have a mechanic fix it. where is it locatedon the car and how do i check it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 6 years ago.
Good evening, exactly what year is the neon?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my neon is a 2002 with a 4 cyl engine

Here info on its location and how to remove it:

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove screws attaching headlamp module to upper crossmember.
  3. Remove headlamp module from vehicle.
  4. Disconnect wire connectors from back of headlamp module.
  5. Remove headlamp module

1 - FENDER3 - HEADLAMP TO FENDER RETAINER
2 - HEADLAMP UNIT 4 - JACKSCREWS

1. Disconnect the harness connector.
  2. Remove the one screw holding the horn assembly to vehicle
  3. Disconnect the harness connector.
  4. Remove the one screw holding the horn assembly to vehicle (HORN).

NOTE: The screw holding the horn assembly is a captive screw and will remain as part of the assembly

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HORN SYSTEM

Refer to Horn System Test table. If the horn does not sound, check the horn fuse located in the Power Distribution Center. If the fuse is blown, replace with the correct fuse. If the horn fails to sound and the new fuse blows when depressing the horn switch, a short circuit in the horn or the horn wiring between the fuse terminal and the horn is responsible, or a defective horn switch allowed the horn to burn out is responsible.

1. If the fuse is OK, test horn relay.
  2. If the relay is OK, test horn.

CAUTION: Continuous sounding of horn will cause horn to fail.

Should the horn sound continuously:

• Unplug the horn relay from Power Distribution Center.

Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

HORN SYSTEM TEST TABLE

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSE CORRECTION

HORN SOUNDS CONTINUOUSLY.

NOTE: IMMEDIATELY UNPLUG HORN RELAY IN THE POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER (PDC)

(1) FAULTY HORN RELAY.

(1) REFER TO HORN RELAY TEST.

(2) HORN CONTROL CIRCUIT TO RELAY SHORTED TO GROUND.

(2) CHECK TERMINAL 41 IN PDC FOR CONTINUITY TO GROUND. IF CONTINUITY TO GROUND INDICATES:

(A) STEERING WHEEL HORN SWITCH/LEAD SHORTED TO GROUND.

(B) WIRING HARNESS SHORTED TO GROUND. FIND THE SHORT AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY.

(3) PINCHED HORN SWITCH WIRE UNDER DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE.

(3) REPLACE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE.

(4) FAULTY HORN SWITCH

(4) REPLACE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE.

HORN SOUND INTERMITTENTLY AS THE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED.

(1) HORN RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT X3 IS SHORTED TO GROUND INSIDE STEERING WHEEL.

(1) REMOVE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE AND/OR STEERING WHEEL. CHECK FOR RUBBING OR LOOSE WIRE/CONNECTOR, REPAIR AS NECESSARY.

(2) PINCHED HORN SWITCH WIRE UNDER DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE

(2) REPLACE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE.

(3) FAULTY HORN SWITCH.

(3) REPLACE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE.

HORN DOES NOT SOUND

(1) CHECK FUSE 18 IN PDC

(1) REPLACE FUSE IF BLOWN REPAIR AS NECESSARY.

(2) NO VOLTAGE AT HORN RELAY TERMINALS 40 & 39, AND FUSE IS OK.

(2) NO VOLTAGE, REPAIR PDC AS NECESSARY.

(3) OPEN CIRCUIT FROM TERMINAL 43 OF THE HORN RELAY TO HORN SWITCH X3 CIRCUIT.

(3) REPAIR CIRCUIT AS NECESSARY.

(4) FAULTY OR DAMAGED HORN.

(4) VOLTAGE AT HORN WHEN HORN SWITCH IS PRESSED, REPLACE HORN.

(5) FAULTY HORN SWITCH

(5) REPLACE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE.

FUSE BLOWS WHEN HORN SOUNDS

(1) SHORT CIRCUIT IN HORN OR HORN WIRING

(1) REMOVE HORN RELAY, CHECK FOR SHORTED HORN OR HORN WIRING. DISCONNECT HORN WIRE HARNESS TO ISOLATE SHORT AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY.

FUSE BLOWS WITHOUT BLOWING HORN

(1) SHORT CIRCUIT

(1) REMOVE RELAY, INSTALL NEW FUSE, IF FUSE DOES NOT BLOW REPLACE HORN RELAY. IF FUSE BLOWS WITH RELAY REMOVED, CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND WITH OHMMETER ON CIRCUIT BETWEEN TERMINALS 40 & 39 AND THE FUSE TERMINAL. REPAIR AS NECESSARY.

NOTE: FOR WIRING REPAIRS, REFER TO WIRE DIAGRAMS.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HORN

1. Disconnect wire connector at horn.
  2. Using a voltmeter, connect one lead to ground terminal and the other lead to the positive wire terminal (Horn Harness Connector).
  3. Depress the horn switch, battery voltage should be present.
  4. If no voltage, refer to Horn System Test. If voltage is OK, go to Step 5.
  5. Using ohmmeter, test ground wire for continuity to ground.
  6. If no ground repair as necessary.
  7. If wires test OK and horn does not sound, replace horn.

80d75248

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified

You will need either a test light or multimeter inorder to check it accurately.

If the above info helps answers your question then press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks