JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

Attempting to replace front bumper on 2001 Dodge ...

Attempting to replace front bumper on 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck. Ordered/received bumper for full-size Dodge Van and was told by company it would fit. Mounting brackets that fit the truck will not fit the bumper. I was sent brackets that work for the bumper and am trying to figure out how to get them to work on the truck...ideas??? I do not understand how the long brackets that are used on a van should be installed...are there ways to do this and / or can I see a diagram of how the bumpers are installed on vans to get ideas?
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

I uploaded the procedures for both the Van and the Truck in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download them by clicking the links below.

Truck
Van

The Brackets I think you are talking about are on the Van diagram. If you need any of the other articles listed in these, let me know. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Dont forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for sending these diagrams...unfortunately, neither one looks like what I am dealing with. If possible, please follow this link:

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=10104+4294967264+1607+11921+9336

My truck uses the first two brackets. The bracket I was sent (that supposedly fits the bumper) is in the 3rd and 4th pictures.

I understand you are providing me with assistance and I want to know in your expert opinion if cutting apart brackets, etc... is the best way to go. I am fighting with the company I bought these from but I may end up owning a bumper I cannot use and cannot return. We made the rear bumper for the van fit a truck so I am determined to do the same with the front. Thoughts???

Absolutely not. Think about it. Cutting Brackets? That will not only jeopardize the fact that your project will not work, secondly, it will probably effect your insurance policy as well. From a professional point of view, you should return all your parts; bumper, brackets, etc., and tell the company to either comply with sending you the proper bumper and mounting brackets, including installation diagram(s), or return your money to you as you will now be doing business else where. I'm sure you can "cob" the bumper on there. Tack welds and all that. But you have to ask yourself this. Do I really want to be driving down the road worrying about whether your bumper is going to stay on or not? No.

Let me know which way you want to go with this.

___________________________
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I stand corrected, sir. I currently serve in the Coast Guard and not only have access to a great many tools, I am learning ways to solve problems that often I try to apply to other aspects of life, but possibly should not at times.

I have now spent a month dealing with this company with no resolution in sight...short of my ordering new parts and being out the money for the parts I have already purchased. With that frustration I am at the point to look for creative ways to solve my problem.

I appreciate your time in answering my questions. In all reality I was simply trying to see if there is an ultimate solution as in a type of bracket that would cross between the truck frame and a van bumper? Of course I do not see any reason why such pieces would actually be made.

v/r

Kevin

What happens when you hold the bumper up against the Van brackets? Still need like 2 inches? Lol.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I don't know...I will continue to talk to the company...as I am now and hopefully find a resolution to this...thanks again.
You bet. I really hope you get it resolved. I know dealing with companys like this can be quite daunting. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop