Brian W
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience:  Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified
358821

How long to change timing chain and tensioner

How long to change timing chain and tensioner on 2000 dodge Intrepid 2.7
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

Hello, This is a HUGE job. It will take an entire day

TIMING CHAIN AND SPROCKETS

REMOVAL

1. Remove upper intake manifold. Refer to procedure in this section.
  2. Remove cylinder head covers, crankshaft damper, and timing chain cover. Refer to procedures in this section

CAUTION: When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

3. Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to mark on oil pump housing The mark on oil pump housing is 60° ATDC of #1 cylinder

CAUTION: When the timing chain is removed and the cylinder heads are still installed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

4. Remove primary timing chain tensioner from right cylinder head
  5. Remove camshaft position sensor from left cylinder head
  6. Remove chain guide access plug from left cylinder head

NOTE: When camshaft sprocket bolts are removed, the camshafts will rotate in a clockwise direction.

7. Starting with the right camshaft sprocket, remove the sprocket attaching bolts. Remove camshaft damper and sprocket
  8. Remove left side camshaft sprocket attaching bolts and remove sprocket
  9. Remove lower chain guide and tensioner arm
  10. Remove the primary timing chain.

INSTALLATION

1. Inspect all sprockets and chain guides. Replace if worn. Refer to crankshaft sprocket, for removal and installation procedures in this section.
  2. If removed, install right and left side short chain guides Tighten attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
  3. Align crankshaft sprocket timing mark to the mark on oil pump housing

NOTE: Lubricate timing chain and guides with engine oil before installation.

4. Place left side primary chain sprocket onto the chain so that the timing mark is located in-between the two (plated) timing links
  5. Lower the primary chain with left side sprocket through the left cylinder head opening

NOTE: The camshaft sprockets can be allowed to float on the camshaft hub during installation.

6. Loosely position left side camshaft sprocket over camshaft hub.
  7. Align timing (plated) link to the crankshaft sprocket timing mark
  8. Position primary chain onto water pump drive sprocket.
  9. Align right camshaft sprocket timing mark to the timing (plated) link on the timing chain and loosely position over camshaft hub.
  10. Verify that all chain timing (plated) links are properly aligned to the timing marks on all sprockets
  11. Install left side lower chain guide and tensioner arm Tighten attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)

NOTE: Inspect oil ring on chain guide access plug before installing. Replace O-ring as necessary.

12. Install chain guide access plug to left side cylinder head Tighten plug to 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.)

NOTE: To reset the primary timing chain tensioner, engine oil will first need to be purged from the tensioner

13. Purge oil from timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
    1. Place the check ball end of tensioner into the shallow end of Special Tool 8186
    2. Using hand pressure, slowly depress tensioner until oil is purged from tensioner
  14. Reset timing chain tensioner using the following procedure:
    1. Position cylinder plunger into the deeper end of Special Tool 8186
    2. Apply a downward force until tensioner is reset

NOTE: If oil was not first purged from the tensioner, use slight finger pressure to assist the center arm pin of Special Tool 8186 to unseat the tensioner's check ball.

CAUTION: Ensure the tensioner is properly reset. The tensioner body must bottom against the top edge of Special Tool 8186. Failure to properly perform the resetting procedure may cause tensioner jamming.

15. Install the reset chain tensioner into the right cylinder head
  16. Position tensioner retaining plate and tighten bolts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
  17. Starting at the right cylinder bank, insert a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub. Rotate camshaft until the camshaft hub aligns to the camshaft sprocket and damper attaching holes. Install the sprocket attaching bolts and tighten to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
  18. Turn the left side camshaft by inserting a 3/8" square drive extension with a breaker bar into intake camshaft drive hub and rotate camshaft until the sprocket attaching bolts can be installed. Tighten sprocket bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
  19. Rotate engine slightly clockwise to remove timing chain slack, if necessary.
  20. To arm the timing chain tensioner: Use a flat bladed pry tool to gently pry tensioner arm towards the tensioner slightl Then, release the tensioner arm. Verify the tensioner is armed (extends)
  21. Install the timing chain cover, crankshaft damper, and cylinder head covers.
  22. Install camshaft position sensor and connect electrical connector.
  23. Install upper intake manifold. Refer procedure in this section

NOTE: After installation of a reset tensioner, engine noise will occur after initial start-up. This noise will normally disappear within 5 - 10 seconds.

___________________-______________-

I hope this helped if so an accept is appreciated

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was a mechanic for 12 yrs. I am familiar with this kind of work, but never worked on this particular dodge engine. Can I do this job myself in my garage, and are any special tools needed?
Thankyou so much Customer
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

There are no special tools needed, unless you are pulling off the crankgear. There is are Mopar repair kit available at the dealership. It includes, chain, tensioner, cam sprockets, and all the guides. Just make sure you match up the left camsprocket w/ the new one. They changed the position of the windows where the cam sensor picks up the signal.

___________________________________________________

Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience: Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified