William D Mulneaux
William D Mulneaux, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience, ASE, Dodge, GM certified.
6776439

I just bought a wreacked 2006 dodge ram 3500 diesel and I ...

Customer Question

I just bought a wreacked 2006 dodge ram 3500 diesel and I cant figure out why the key don''t work there is no power to the dash, radio and it won''t turn over there is a chip in it. Im not very familiar with the 06 pickups yet. don''t know if that has anything to do with it. I also have a little scaning computer and that wont even read it comes up with error. Iv checked every fuse in the thing and there all good. anyone have any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  William D Mulneaux replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer,

Do you have headlights or brakelights?

Where was the vehicle hit?

The anti-theft will not kill power to the vehicle, it allows the vehicle to start for a couple of seconds and then kills it.

Check pin 16 on the data link connector for power, it is the bottom right pin. I would look closely at the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) this is the computerized fuse box in the engine compartment. It is also the gateway that all of the other modules communicate through. It is on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

Let me know where the truck was hit and I can give you more places to check.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hey there thanks for your help ill give you a nice tip if i can keep from bringing it to a dealer. i checked the head lights and break lights and yes they work. the interior lights don't though. i also checked that pin out and yes there is a good 12.8 volts there. the truck wasn't hit all that hard it messed up the front bumper and the box hit the cab a little other that that its prity strait. the bags did not go off. Also i just put in a new switch ignition thinking that was it and it didn't do anything different.

OK,

Let me dig through some wiring diagrams, I will get back with you.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hey there. got any ideas yet? we messed with it quite a bit today and we printed off some schematics and pin tested a bunch of stuff and it seems like its pointing towards the ecm on the big fuse for the diesel pcm it has 12 volts on one side and it got a back feed on the other side of about 10 volts and to me that isn't right I manualy started it today and it runs realy rough and still non of the guages work. its got me stuned i was going to take it to a dealer tomarow morning and see what they have to say unless youve come op with a theory?

What fuse are you looking at, give me the number so I can reference it to my diagrams.

Are you saying that at the fuse itself you have B+ and the ECM has only 10 volts?

Are you testing the ECM on the side of the block or the PCM on the passenger firewall?

Your scanner can't read anything because the 06 Cummins is using a CAN network and most after-market scanners and code readers are not CAN enabled. The fact that you have power at the DLC and the truck will start means the ECM and Wireless Control Module are working. I would check the power and grounds to the instrument cluster, it is in essence the body control module in Chrysler vehicles.

Are you getting any lights at all on the cluster or is it completely dead?

The ECM is not a likely cause of the problem you are having, but I never say impossible, cars and trucks like to do the impossible. The voltage drop could be a part of the problem as that fuse may power other items. The fact that it starts and runs however badly indicates the ECM is online. The instrument cluster controls all of the interior lighting, locks windows most anything with a switch in the passenger compartment goes through the cluster.

The most likely culprits are the TIPM or the cluster, the TIPM controls all power flow and also acts as a gateway for the networks to communicate on. It is the fuse box with a control module attached. Check all of the fuses if you have not already, not only visually but with a test light. Pop out the TIPM and check all of the connections and wires, I have seen one wire not locked in a connector run me in circles.

If you need diagrams or pin charts I can get them to you on this post.

Finding out why the cluster has no power should be the first step, please remember my only contact with the vehicle is through you so I may ask a lot of questions that may seem uneccesary. One more:

Is it blowing any white smoke when it is running?

Sorry it took awhile to get back with you, I have an 04 3500 Cummins I am putting a motor in and it has to be done by Mon. so I have been working late.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hey there I found the problem I was taking my cluster out and when i did that i found that it was not pluged in. I pluged it in and now everything works. Thanks for your help!!

I am glad we saved you a trip to the dealer.

Bill