mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man

1987 dodge 600: automatic with a 2.2 liter engine.

I have a 1987 dodge 600. automatic with a 2.2 liter engine. Error code 34 is on. (speed control solenoid driver circuit. The car runs rough at idle when the car is in drive but not in reverse.Is this a transmissin problem. where is the solenoid.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com

• 34 (1984-86) EGR solenoid circuit shorted or open
  • 34 (1987-1991) speed control shorted or open
  • Look for a vacumn leak at the canister for the cruise control.
    hope this helps.______________
    PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS

mndave0002, engineer
    Experience: Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I have already checked for vaccum leaks, This car doesn't have cruise control. could something in the transmission cause this. The car idles fine in reverse and nuetral

The reason I included the code for the previous year is you may have got the code from previous year so check your EGR valve.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    The EGR valve is fine

Ok I got it sorry had to take a while to get it

Chrysler Electronic Spark Control (ESC) System

The ESC system is used only on 2.2L carbureted engines.

The distance sensor is located in series with the speedometer cable and transmission. This is a reed-switch type sensor which produces a specific number of switch closures per cable rotation. The number of switch closures is calculated by the PCM to determine vehicle speed or motion.

Chrysler Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and Multi-Point Fuel Injection (MFI) Systems

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 1: The distance sensor on early (1981-87 models) is mounted on the transaxle housing-the speedometer cable is installed into the sensor

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 2: The distance sensor used on later models (1988-95 models) is also mounted on the transaxle housing, however a speedometer cable is no longer used for the speedometer

TESTING

1. Remove the distance sensor from the transaxle.

2. Connect an ohmmeter across the terminals of the sensor.

3. Rotate the sensor shaft while observing the ohmmeter. For each complete rotation there should be 8 distinct pulses. Each pulse should not exceed 0.5 ohms.

• If sensor failed to perform as specified, replace the sensor and retest.

• If sensor was within specifications, check for a fault in the wiring, cable or drive mechanism.

3. Rotate the sensor shaft while observing the ohmmeter. For each complete rotation there should be eight distinct pulses. Each pulse should not exceed 0.5 ohms.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

The distance sensor is located in series with the speedometer cable and transmission.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.

3. Disengage the electrical wiring connectors from the sensor.

4. Disconnect the front and rear speedometer cables from the sensor.

5. If equipped, remove the sensor mounting bolts or nuts.

To install:

1. If equipped, install the sensor on its mounting bracket and install the mounting fasteners. Tighten the fasteners until secure.

2. Attach the front and rear speedometer cables to the sensor.

3. Attach the wiring connectors to the sensor.

4. Lower the vehicle and remove the wheel blocks.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

When the vehicle speed sensor is removed for any reason, a new O-ring must be installed on its outside diameter.

2. Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely on jackstands.

3. Remove the speedometer cable (if so equipped) from the transaxle.

4. Unplug the harness connector from the sensor. Make sure that the weatherseal stays on the harness connector.

5. Remove the bolt securing the sensor in the extension housing or unscrew the sensor from the transaxle.

6. Place a pan under the sensor to catch any transaxle fluid which may leak out of the sensor mounting hole (not much, if any, will leak out unless the vehicle is now moved).

7. Carefully pull the sensor and pinion gear assembly out of the extension housing.

8. Remove the pinion gear from the sensor.

To install:

1. Clean the extension housing and sensor flange mounting surfaces. Install a new O-ring to the sensor.

2. Install the pinion gear back onto the sensor.

3. Carefully slide the sensor/pinion gear assembly back into the transaxle housing. Make certain that the pinion gear engages the gear inside of the transaxle correctly.

4. Install and tighten the retaining bolt, or sensor itself, to 60 inch lbs. (7 Nm).

5. Plug the sensor connector back into the wiring harness.

6. Install the speedometer cable and tighten the cable nut to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).

7. Lower the vehicle.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.