mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE- How to remove Power Steering pump

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com

this is for the 3.3

REMOVAL

1. Remove the (-) negative battery cable from the battery and isolate cable.
  2. Remove cap from power steering resevoir.
  3. Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering resevoir.
  4. Raise vehicle on jack stands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
  5. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring harness from the vehicle wiring harness. Access to connection at vehicle wiring harness is through the oxygen sensor wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle. NOTE: The exhaust system needs to be removed from the engine to allow for an area to remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.
  6. Remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold. Then remove all the exhaust system hangers/isolators from the brackets on the exhaust system.

Move the exhaust system as far rearward and to the left side of the vehicle as possible.

Raise the heat sleeve on the power steering hoses to expose the hose to steel tube connection. Remove the hose from the power steering fluid return line on the front suspension cradle. Allow the remaining power steering fluid to drain from the pump and fluid reservoir through the removed return hose.

Remove the accessory drive splash shield.

Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt from the engine.

• Remove the steering fluid supply hose coming from the remote fluid reservoir, from the fitting on the power steering pump. Drain off excess power steering fluid from hose.
  • Remove the steering fluid pressure line from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
  • Remove the power steering fluid return hose from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
  • Remove the support bracket at the rear of the power steering pump attaching the pump to the rear of the engine.
    1. Remove the 3 bolts mounting the power steering pump to the alternator/power steering pump and belt tensioner mounting bracket.
    2. Remove the power steering pump from its mounting bracket.
    3. The power steering pump is removed from the vehicle by pulling it out through the exhaust tunnel area in the floor pan of the vehicle.
    4. If transferal of the power steering pump pulley is necessary, refer to Overhaul.

hope this helps.______________
    PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS