Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Where is the thermostat located on a Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2L engine

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

It is located at the front end of the intake manifold. Here are directions:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain and recycle the engine coolant.

3. If equipped with air conditioning:

1. Remove the engine cover.

2. Remove the drive belt.

3. Remove the alternator.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: The thermostat housing is located at the front of the intake manifold, and is attached by two retaining bolts

1. Remove the upper radiator hose.

2. Remove the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing.

3. Remove the retaining bolts from the thermostat housing.

4. Remove the thermostat housing, thermostat, and gasket from the intake manifold.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: The gasket usually sits atop the thermostat, as in this case. However, on some engines, the gasket is underneath the thermostat flange

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Remove the thermostat from the manifold by lifting it straight up

To install:

1. Clean the gasket mating surfaces.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Take care when cleaning the surfaces for the new gasket; it is necessary to remove any residue to allow the gasket to adhere

If a new thermostat is being installed, make sure the replacement is the specified part for the vehicle.

1. If the gasket goes beneath the thermostat flange, be sure to first install a new gasket. Install the thermostat spring side down into the intake manifold.

2. If the gasket goes on top of the thermostat flange, install a new thermostat gasket above the thermostat.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Place the new thermostat and gasket on the intake manifold before attaching the thermostat housing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: The word FRONT is usually stamped on the thermostat housing. This goes toward the front of the vehicle for installation

The thermostat housing may have the word FRONT on it; this goes towards the front of the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: This exploded view shows the typical order of installation of the thermostat

1. Install the thermostat housing onto the intake manifold.

2. Tighten the housing bolts to 200 inch lbs. (23 Nm).

3. Reinstall the upper radiator hose onto the housing.

4. If the vehicle has air conditioning:

1. Reinstall the alternator.

2. Reinstall the drive belt.

3. Reinstall the engine cover.

Ensure that you have retightened the radiator drain before refilling with coolant.

5. Refill the radiator with a proper coolant mixture.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

7. Start the engine and bleed the cooling system.

8. Ensure that the thermostat is operational (by checking the upper radiator hose for warmth), and that there are no leaks.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.