Greg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22yrs experience with Dodge/Chry vehicles. Own and operate repair shop.

Retrieved codes from my Dodge Stratus, P0456-detected leak ...

Customer Question

Retrieved codes from my Dodge Stratus, P0456-detected leak in evaporative system, P0441-Evaporative Emmission control system incorrect purge flow, what does this mean, how can I fix this myself?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Greg replied 8 years ago.

Hello, what engine size please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Need to go check one min
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think V6, but not 100% sure. Sorry don't know lot about cars
Expert:  Greg replied 8 years ago.
No thats good its a 2.7 v-6. ok I'll be back in just a moment>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks in advance for all your help. Hope it is something I can learn and do on my own.
Expert:  Greg replied 8 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, these codes, as you know, have to do with the evap system. What this system does is reburns fuel tank vapors back into the engine. The 456 code can be set by simply having a bad gas cap or a improperly installed gas cap! Check this first! If the cap is loose get it on right, when the car reruns its test for this it will turn the light off. don't take the battery cable loose. If you do not find a problem there, i suggest taking it to a shop. But let me say this, these codes and this type of problem WILL NOT cause a running problem! The light will just stay on, I do suggest you get it taken care of but you don't have to rush it! Thanks for useing JA, If you need me further let me know!Smile
Expert:  Greg replied 8 years ago.
I wanted to mention that the reason you should take it to a shop is it takes specialized equipment to test these systems, a smoke machine and a class 2 capable scanner to name a couple! Not really much you can do yourself unless its the gas cap! thanks