mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
7009730

P252: lift pump and fuel filter now it..bled

Customer Question

codes po251,po252,po253 p1688, and p1689 just replaced lift pump and fuel filter now it wont do anything but "diesel" have bled air from everything please help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com

I am guessing but did you get the codes form a scan tool? Here is what the codes you read are for. But if you used scan tool they sometimes will get codes for the newer vehicles and can be less accurate.

• P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Malfunction (Cam/Rotor/Injector)
  • P0252 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Range/Performance (Cam/Rotor/Injector)
  • P0253 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Low (Cam/Rotor/Injector)
  • P1188 EOT Sensor Ckt. High Voltage
  • P1189 Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit
  • Try to get the codes from the key method and double check them please.

Here is general procedure for getting engine codes by using the flash method.

Turn the key from off to on three times within five seconds. Then watch the CHECK ENGINE lamp. When you hit the proper rhythm ( this varies some from vehicle to vehicle and takes a few tries sometimes ), the MIL will stay lit longer than normal, go out and then start flashing.

Count the flashes. There will be short pauses between sets of flashes to indicate you're going to another number. The last set of flashes will always be 5-5, or code 55, which means end of test. All the codes will have two digits to them. You can repeat this as many times as needed to get a feel for how it works. If the PCM or battery has been disconnected within the last month or so, the first code you'll see is 1-2 (code 12) which indicates a recent loss of memory. be careful not to misread numbers so like 1-2 becomes a 3 or 2-3 becomes 3-2. Do this a few times to check and always write them down for future reference.

hope this helps.______________
    PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    the mil light just comes on no flash no response tried several times and nothing happened

Sorry it can be a bit tricky to get that to work. If you have the digital odometer it will show there as P#### XXXXX and Pdoen when over. There seems to be problem with the fuel pump system. Here si the standard procedure for priming so you can review it. Also something on the fule pressure limiting vavle. maybe this is failing.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FUEL SYSTEM

PRIMING

A certain amount of air becomes trapped in the

fuel system when fuel system components on the

supply and/or high-pressure side are serviced or

replaced. Fuel system priming is accomplished using

the electric fuel transfer (lift) pump.

Servicing or replacing fuel system components usually

will not require fuel system priming.

The fuel transfer (lift) pump is self-priming: When

the key is first turned on (without cranking engine),

the pump operates for approximately 2 seconds and

then shuts off. The pump will also operate for up to

25 seconds after the starter is quickly engaged, and

then disengaged without allowing the engine to start.

The pump shuts off immediately if the key is on and

the engine stops running.

(1) Turn key to CRANK position and quickly

release key to ON position before engine starts. This

will operate fuel transfer pump for approximately 25

seconds.

(2) If the engine does not start after 25 seconds,

turn key OFF. Repeat previous step until engine

starts.

(3) Fuel system priming is now completed.

(4) Attempt to start engine. If engine will not

start, proceed to following steps. When engine does

start, it may run erratically and be noisy for a

few minutes. This is a normal condition.

CAUTION: Do not engage the starter motor for more

than 30 seconds at a time. Allow two minutes

between cranking intervals.

(5) Perform previous fuel priming procedure steps

using fuel transfer pump. Be sure fuel is present at

fuel tank.

(6) Crank the engine for 30 seconds at a time to

allow fuel system to prime.WARNING: THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP SUPPLIES

EXTREMELY HIGH FUEL PRESSURE TO EACH INDIVIDUAL

INJECTOR THROUGH THE HIGH-PRESSURE

LINES. FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF

PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE THE SKIN AND

CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES

AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING.

DO NOT LOOSEN FUEL FITTINGS WHILE ENGINE

IS RUNNING.

WARNING: ENGINE MAY START WHILE CRANKING

STARTER MOTOR.

Metering Valve

FUEL PRESSURE LIMITING

VALVE

DESCRIPTION

The fuel pressure limiting valve is located on the

top of the fuel rail.

OPERATION

Fuel pressure at the fuel rail is monitered by the

fuel rail pressure sensor. If fuel pressure becomes

excessive, the pressure limiting valve opens and

vents excess pressure into the fuel drain circuit.