mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
7009730

1993 DODGE TRUCK: CUMMINS DIESEL..THE FACTORY CONNECTOR..TACHOMETER

Customer Question

1993 DODGE TRUCK CUMMINS DIESEL 350 , HI I NEED TO KNOW THE COLOR CODES ON THE FACTORY CONNECTOR UNDER THE DASH FOR THE TACHOMETER & WHAT EACH COLOR WIRE HOOKS UP TO. THANK YOU GARY
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer

Ok I can not get you the wire colors for the speedo. What I show from my diagrams and stuff is that it is wired from the VSS variable speed sensor to the guage and not through the PCM. I would follow the variable speed sensor. I am not sure but I believe it is at the back of then transimission or the rear axle. Either way these wires should be the same color as the speedo. I included the basic info for installing the speedo and the cluster.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

1. Remove the instrument cluster, then the bezel.

2. Unscrew the instrument from the cluster.

3. Carefully remove the instrument from the front of the cluster.

To install:

1. Install the speedometer.

2. Install the instrument cluster.

Click image to see an enlarged view

1994-96 Pick-Ups

See Figures 3, 4, 5 and 6

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Exploded view of the instrument cluster bezel mounting-1994-96 Pick-ups

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the cigar lighter from behind the cluster bezel

1. Remove the cluster bezel as follows:

1. Remove the cup holder and ash receiver.

2. Carefully pry the bezel away from the instrument panel to disengage the clips.

3. Unplug the cigar lighter and auxiliary power outlet connectors.

2. Remove the knee blocker.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove and install the PRND21 cable (if applicable) as shown

1. Pull the PRND21 cable and twist to remove from the position arm, if applicable.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Unscrew the instrument cluster from the mounting points indicated

1. Push the tab on the bottom of the cable retainer up, then squeeze the sides to remove the retainer from the column.

2. Remove the four screws that hold the cluster.

3. Pull the cluster rearward and unplug the two electrical connectors.

4. Remove the cluster.

To install:

1. Install the cluster in its mounted position.

2. If applicable, properly install the PRND21 cable.

3. Install the knee blocker.

4. Install the cluster bezel as follows:

1. Plug in the disconnected wiring.

2. Carefully maneuver the cluster into its mounted position.

3. Install the cigar lighter and auxiliary power outlet connectors.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

hope this helps__________________
PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to mndave0002's Post: HI THIS IS A 1993 DODGE D - 350 CUMMINS POWERED TRUCK, THE FACTORY PLUG FOR THE TACH IS UNDER THE DASH IT WAS PUT THERE SO YOU CAN PLUG IN A TACHOMETER , WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS ON THE DODGE FACTORY SIDE OF THE PLUG WHAT COLOR WIRES MEAN WHAT. EXAMPLE BLACK WIRE IS FOR GROUND OFF OF FACTORY PLUG OUTLET, GREEN ETC. THANKS GARY
yah I am sorry I could not give you that I will opt out and see if anyone else has one or knows. If not I will try to get back ot you if it sits for a day or so.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WHAT HAPPENS NOW? DO I JUST WAIT FOR ANOTHER MECH TO ANSWER? THANK YOU GARY

yes it shows right away at the top of list that I opt-ed out and then they will look at it and see if they want to answer

ther eis a few here who might know

If not I will try to get a wiring diagram tommorow or Friday Morn and post it here.