mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
7009730

Repair a dodge van door lock, it will not open from the inside?

how do you repair a dodge van door lock, it will not open from the inside?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com

to replace the door handle on the inside you will need to remove the door panel and repalce it. I will give you the info. ON these older vehicles sometimes it is a bit general but should work let me know if you can not see any diagram. I can send again. please let me know if I have anything unclear. first door trim then door handle.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

1. Remove the armrest.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Remove the screws securing the armrest

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Unscrew and remove the door handle-on this 1990 Pick-up, it is secured with a hex head screw

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Take note of the correct order of the parts removed

1. Remove the door handle screw and pull off the handle.

2. On models with manual windows, remove the window regulator handle screw and pull off the handle. If not fastened with a screw, slip a suitable door handle removal tool behind the handle and detach it from its mounting to the regulator.

3. On models with power windows, remove the power window switch housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Some door handles require a special tool for removal-1994-96 Pick-up type shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the door trim panel with a suitable panel separator tool

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Exploded view of the door panel mounting-1994-96 Pick-ups

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Some accessory switch controls will have to be removed prior to panel removal-1994-96 Pick-ups

1. On models with manual door locks, remove the door lock control. On models with power door locks, remove the power door lock switch housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Exploded view of the Dakota door trim panel mounting

1. On models with electric outside rear view mirrors, remove the power mirror switch housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Exploded view of the door trim panel mounting-150-350 series Pick-up and Ramcharger

1. Using a flat wood spatula, or equivalent tool, insert it carefully behind the panel and slide it along to find the push-pins. When you encounter a pin, pry the pin outward. Do this until all the pins are out. NEVER PULL ON THE PANEL TO REMOVE THE PINS!

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Exploded view of the rear door trim panel mounting

To install:

1. Install by positioning the panel on the door and pressing the pins into position.

2. On models with electric outside rear view mirrors, install the power mirror switch housing.

3. On models with manual door locks, install the door lock control.

4. On models with power door locks, install the power door lock switch housing.

5. On models with manual windows, install the window regulator handle.

6. On models with power windows, install the power window switch housing.

7. Install the door handle.

8. Install the armrest

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Front Door Latch

See Figure 1

1. Raise the glass to the full UP position.

2. Remove the door trim panel and watershield.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of a common door handle mounting

1. Disconnect the clips and/or rods from the handle and lock cylinder, and from the remote control assembly.

2. Remove the latch assembly attaching screws and remove the latch from the door.

3. Install in the reverse order of removal.

Rear Door Latch

This procedure applies only to Crew Cab models.

3. Disconnect the rods from the handle and lock cylinder, and from the remote control assembly.

4. Remove the latch assembly attaching screws and remove the latch from the door.

5. Install in the reverse order of removal.

Door Lock Cylinder

See Figures 2 and 3

1. Place the window in the UP position.

2. Remove the trim panel and watershield.

3. Disconnect the actuating rod from the lock control link clip.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: A common door link attachment to the latch

1. Slide the retainer away from the lock cylinder.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Exploded view of a common door lock cylinder assembly

1. Pull the cylinder from the door.

2. Install in reverse order of removal

Hope this helps

If this helps click accept thanks again David

mndave0002, engineer
Experience: Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man