mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
7009730

1997 Dodge dakota slt: the magnum v8 wont start, motor..whats

Customer Question

1997 Dodge dakota slt with the magnum v8 wont start, motor is turning but will not fire, dont know whats going on, it started yesterday and bam today nothing
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com

Are you or were you getting any warning lights? If so return here and I can tell you how to retrieve them plus what they are for. Possibly even if they are not still lit.

I woudl check for fault codes to see if ti points ou in one direction or the other. Here is how to get them.

Here is general procedure for getting engine codes by using the flash method.

Turn the key from off to on three times within five seconds. Then watch the CHECK ENGINE lamp. When you hit the proper rhythm ( this varies some from vehicle to vehicle and takes a few tries sometimes ), the MIL will stay lit longer than normal, go out and then start flashing.

Count the flashes. There will be short pauses between sets of flashes to indicate you're going to another number. The last set of flashes will always be 5-5, or code 55, which means end of test. All the codes will have two digits to them. You can repeat this as many times as needed to get a feel for how it works.

If the PCM or battery has been disconnected within the last month or so, the first code you'll see is 1-2 (code 12) which indicates a recent loss of memory. be careful not to misread numbers so like 1-2 becomes a 3 or 2-3 becomes 3-2. Do this a few times to check and always write them down for future reference.

I might suspect tha carnk sensor OR a fule related problem. the crank sensor should trip a fault code if you retreive it like i stated.

Hope this helps

If this helps click accept thanks again David