mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
7009730

P1496 Chrysler 5 Volt Output Low

Customer Question

97cirrius 2.5L v6
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com

This is what code meens as you already knew.

1496Sensor feed is below an acceptable limit. (under 4v for 4 seconds - should be 5v).

This meens that one of the sensors is gettign a poor signal. You must have used the scanner to get these codes. try to also check them with the key method. Your vehicle have the digital odometer? here is that method. It may tell you which sensor is gettign a bad signal.

Here is general procedure for getting engine fault codes.

Turn the key from off to on three times within five seconds. When you hit the proper rhythm ( this varies some from vehicle to vehicle and takes a few tries sometimes ) All the codes start with a P and will have four digits to them. You can repeat this as many times as needed to get a feel for how it works. Do this a few times to check and always write them down for future reference

If you have a non-digital dash you have to use the flash method. her eis that. then I am almost sure you will get different results.

Here is general procedure for getting engine codes by using the flash method.

Turn the key from off to on three times within five seconds. Then watch the CHECK ENGINE lamp. When you hit the proper rhythm ( this varies some from vehicle to vehicle and takes a few tries sometimes ), the MIL will stay lit longer than normal, go out and then start flashing.

Count the flashes. There will be short pauses between sets of flashes to indicate you're going to another number. The last set of flashes will always be 5-5, or code 55, which means end of test. All the codes will have two digits to them. You can repeat this as many times as needed to get a feel for how it works.

If the PCM or battery has been disconnected within the last month or so, the first code you'll see is 1-2 (code 12) which indicates a recent loss of memory. be careful not to misread numbers so like 1-2 becomes a 3 or 2-3 becomes 3-2. Do this a few times to check and always write them down for future reference

Hope this helps

If this helps click accept thanks again David

mndave0002, engineer
Experience: Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i also had p0112- so can ths be related to the TPS. ?
I show that as being
112Intake air temperature sensor voltage low
you 97 cirrus should ahve a temp sensor for the air and none for the coolant. Did you try the key cycle method yet? do you have a digital odometer? if not then you are getting codes for a newwer year. your cirrus is on the edge of change from two ## XXXXX to P#### XXXXX like your reader is getting. so it would not be related to TPS sensor more likely the air temp sensor in the throttle body. please try the key method to get codes and compare them with your scanner.

I am sending you a note to keep line open let me know what you get. Your reader maybe set for newer cars and not getting best info right now. was yours a digital Odometer?