Brian W
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience:  Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified
358821

2004 dodge ram 1500 4.7, when engine was first ...

Customer Question

2004 dodge ram 1500 4.7, when engine was first rebuilt,truck will run for 15 minutes, then shut off, it ran the starter like it jumped time or starving for fuel. That happen about 5 to 7 times but now it will not crank at all. Disassembled the front,check timing and it ok. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. T.Scott.
After the motor had been rebuilt and placed back in the truck,cranked the truck for the first time and it started and ran for about 15 minutes and the engine shut off.After that, the engine would not crank after that. It ran the starter like it jumped time or it seem like it wasn''t getting any fuel. This happened about 5 times and now it will not crank at all.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Did the engine run for 15minutes 5 seperate times and then stall? Does the engine turn over now, or crank but not start? Why was the engine rebuilt?

______________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine was gunked and caused the oil pump to go out. The engine and the heads were checked out by the machine shop any everything was good. Replaced barriens in the bottom, new timing chains, new oil pump, new strainer. Yes the engine did run 5 seperate times and then stalled. The engine turn over, but does not start
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

Who rebuilt the engine and installed the main bearings?

_________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
me and a friend rebuilt the engine and installed the main bearings in which he is a mechanic that he went to school for auto mechanic.
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

How did you and your mechanic friend go about replacing the main bearings? Where were they purchased? Which bearings were used?

__________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The bearings were purchased at the machine shop and we replaced the rod bearings. It has been a while since we put the motor back in so I really cant remember.
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

The reason I am asking is, the 4.7 engine takes select fit bearings. Which means there are different sizes, for the specific journal they belong to, it does not sound like this was done.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARING - FITTING

MAIN BEARING JOURNAL DIAMETER (CRANKSHAFT REMOVED)

Crankshaft removed from the cylinder block.

Clean the oil off the main bearing journal.

Determine the maximum diameter of the journal with a micrometer. Measure at two locations 90° apart at each end of the journal.

The maximum allowable taper is 0.008mm (0.0004 inch.) and maximum out of round is 0.005mm (0.002 inch). Compare the measured diameter with the journal diameter specification (Main Bearing Fitting Chart). Select inserts required to obtain the specified bearing-to-journal clearance.

CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARING SELECTION

1 - REARMOST CRANKSHAFT COUNTER WEIGHT
2 - TARGET WHEEL
3 - MAIN BEARING SELECT FIT MARKINGS

The main bearings are "select fit" to achieve proper oil clearances. For main bearing selection, the crankshaft position sensor target wheel has grade identification marks stamped into it (3). These marks are read from left to right, corresponding with journal number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The crankshaft position sensor target wheel (2) is mounted to the number 8 counter weight (1) on the crankshaft.

NOTE: Service main bearings are coded. These codes identify what size (grade) the bearing is.

MAIN BEARING SELECTION CHART - 4.7L

GRADE SIZE mm (in.) FOR USE WITH
MARKING JOURNAL SIZE
A 0.008 mm U/S 63.488-63.496 mm
(0.0004 in.) U/S (2.4996-2.4999 in.)
B NOMINAL 63.496-63.504 mm
(2.4999-2.5002 in.)
C 0.008 mm O/S 63.504-63.512 mm
(0.0004 in.) O/S

(2.5002-2.5005 in.)

___

______________________________________
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience: Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If all of this is not in aligned will this cause the truck not to start.
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

If this was not done, id be even more worried if it did start. The chance that you have the right bearing clearances in all 5 journal locations is slim to none. I would see if the engine will even roll over by hand.

_____________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The motor is not locked down it will turn over. You can turn it over by hand or by switch.
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

Have you check fuel pressure and spark , compression,or injector pulse?

____________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The motor starts and run, but will not stay running. Cuts off, then turn over like its not getting fire, gas, or like the timing is off. No we have not checked any of the above. We dont't have a diagnostic computer that why we are tring to get an idea of what it could be. We were thinking that the computer might need to be reset or sensors are bad. Can you explain the bset awy to check the fuel pressure and spark, compression and injector pulse. Does this have to be checked by computer.
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

Compression and fuel pressure are checked with a gauge, injector pulse is tested with a noid light, spark is tested with a spark tester. Does the check engine light come on when it is running?

__________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, The check engine light comes on when it is running
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

You will ned to start there, and have the code read. It is possible that timing is off, there is actually a code for cam crank mis- alignment. I have a feeling this will shed some light on the problem. You will either need to purchase a code reader, or have it towed somewhere. It is impossible to even guess at what is happening without some basic diagnostics ( codes, fuel pressure, spark, compression, injector pulse) Done for tonight, I'll check back tomorrow.

________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks check back tomorrow with you too
Expert:  Brian W replied 6 years ago.

Let me know if you got that trouble code # XXXXX I can help you further.

_________________________________________________________