Derrick
Derrick, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
7680243

2005 Dodge Caravan: My heater stopped working..Checked fuses..relays

Customer Question

My heater stopped working on my 2005 Dodge Caravan. No fan at any speed, nothing. Checked fuses and relays and they are good. Only suspect is ocassionally some early cold mornings it took forever to blow warm air, but most times only a mile or two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Derrick replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Below is a wiring diagram of your blower motor circuit.

I would start by disconnecting your blower motor and making sure you have good power and ground at the motor. If you do, then the motor is bad. If you dont, I would continue following the circuit upstream using the wiring diagram to the resistor block, and switch until you find where you are losing your power.

814f7da4

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Derrick, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Derrick's Post: stupid question but where is the blower motor and how do I get to it.
Expert:  Derrick replied 6 years ago.

That is not a stupid question, I am sorry I did not include that in the answer.

First, remove the passenger side trim:

Remove the recirc door actuator(#2) below:

There are 4 screws that secure a housing around the blower motor. Remove them and then pull the rubber grommet with the wiring through:

Now remove the 3 screws that hold the blower motor in, and you can wiggle it on out:

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions, there is no such thing as a stupid question!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you Derrick,
you have been very helpful. Is replacing a blower motor something an ametuer mechanic should attempt?
Expert:  Derrick replied 6 years ago.

Yes, but make sure you need the blower motor first.

Like I said above test for power at the connector to the motor. If you have power then yes replace the motor, but if you dont have power at the motor, the motor wont run even if the motor is fine.

Feel free to ask if you need anything else!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
great help
Expert:  Derrick replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX free to ask if you need anything else!