Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

Hope you get it done.... Thank You......

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 years ago.

• Disconnect battery ground cable.
  • Remove wiper arms.
  • Remove cowl cover. (torque head screws)
  • Open hood, disconnect wiper unit electrical connector and the washer hoses.
  • Disconnect drain tubes from bottom of wiper unit, then remove sound absorbers from wiper unit ends.
  • Remove nuts holding wiper unit to lower windshield fence, then remove bolts holding wiper unit to dash panel.
  • Lift wiper unit from weld studs on lower windshield fence.
  • Remove wiper unit from vehicle, then remove wiper linkage and motor mount plate from wiper unit.
  • Disconnect electrical connections from wiper motor, then remove wiper linkage from motor crank.
  • Remove wiper motor mounting bolts and remove motor from mount plate.
  • Reverse procedure to install
  • Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
    Experience: Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Not sure of some of the nomenclature refered in your answer.
    What are "sound absorbers"?
    "windshield fence"? Do you have a picture that shows these items?

Sorry for the wording, but that is how the factory writes it:
    Sound absorbers - are the rubber ends attached to the motor. (may not be there if someone has previously worked on it)
    Fence - the part of the firewall that the motor is bolted to

To access the windshield wiper motor, the cowl cover must be removed

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 2: With the hood open, remove the cowl cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 3: After the windshield washer hose and electrical connectors are unplugged, disconnect the wiper unit drain tubes

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the wiper arm and blade assemblies.

3. Remove the cowl cover from the vehicle as follows:

1. Close the hood to aid in the removal procedure.

2. Remove the lower area cowl cover-to-wiper module mounting screws.

3. Disengage the quarter turn fasteners securing the outer ends of the cowl cover to the wiper module.

4. Open the hood.

5. Remove the wing nuts securing the front of the cowl cover to the wiper module.

6. Using a small flat bladed tool, disengage the retainers securing the cowl cover to the front fender edge.

7. Raise up the cowl cover enough to gain access to the right side washer hose and disconnect from the right washer nozzle.

8. Close the hood, but do not latch. Remove the cowl cover from the vehicle.

4. Open the hood. Disconnect the positive lock on the wiper unit electrical connector.

5. Disconnect the wiper unit electrical connector from the engine compartment wiring harness.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 4: Once everything is disconnected from the wiper unit, remove the mounting bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 5: ... and lift the wiper unit from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 6: Remove the wiper motor crank nut and mark the location as shown

1. Disconnect the windshield washer hose from the hose coupling inside the wiper unit.

2. Remove the drain tubes from the bottom of the wiper unit.

3. Remove the sound absorbers from the ends of the wiper unit.

4. Remove the attaching nuts securing the wiper unit to the lower windshield fence.

5. Remove the attaching bolts securing the wiper unit to the dash panel.

6. Raise up the wiper unit from the from the weld-studs on the lower windshield fence and remove the wiper unit from the vehicle.

7. Place the wiper unit on a solid, level working surface. Remove the cowl cover brackets from the wiper unit.

8. Remove the attaching nuts securing the wiper linkage and wiper motor mount plate to the wiper unit.

9. Remove the wiper linkage from the wiper unit.

10. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the wiper motor.

11. Disconnect the wiper linkage from the wiper motor crank, but do NOT remove the crank from the wiper motor.

12. Remove the attaching bolts that secure the wiper motor to the mount plate and remove the wiper motor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Perfect! Thanks!Laughing

The Haynes manual I have doesnt say or show anything about the rest of the assembly(Rods and supports)Undecided
    Sometimes the manual is worse then getting in there & tearing it apart..........lol
    THANK YOU..............
    Thanks for using J/A
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to Lurch's Post: Yah no kidding. Get a manual to help with information and you get to where you need it and it says "Please consult a service technician" Yell
    LOL.........that is the truth....even with Factory info.
    Hope you get it done.....
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    ok, its out and the motor is back in the bracket. How do you know in which position the crank goes on the motor? Its a splined shaft coming from the motor and the crank is also splined. I was expecting a keyed or slotted shaft/crank.
    The new motor has a pink dot on the end of the shaft, in a particular location off center.
    If this is unclear, I can provide real-time pictures....

Don't know if you marked the location of the arm prior to removing, but that dot would be the mating spot for the mark

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Reply to Lurch's Post: The old motor had no mark, nor does the crank. Even if I marked the old motor to crank, it wouldnt necassarily be the same position on the new one.

How about this....
    How about installing the works minus putting on the crank....turn on the wipers and off again.....and this would be the parked position.
    (I did mark the wiper arm to pivot shaft prior to removing the wiper arms, in the parked position)
    That is the idea on marking the old one in park position, but what you described should work also, just confirm the Parked position. I usually install the Arms after I am sure the Motor works corectly
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Have a picture of what you thinkk the parked position of the crank should be?
    I have found the parked position but the arm dips below the established "parked" position when I operate the motor???

Sorry to bug you, but this manual is crap. doesnt show anything. I will of course pay yu again.Wink
    You should be able to place the Wiper Arm in another spot to compensate for that.

Here are some pictures with wipers in stock, Park position:

Middle (motor):

graphic

Passenger Middle arms:
    graphic

Passenger Side:
    graphic

Driver Middle:
    graphic

Driver Side:
    graphic

Middle (closeup) :
    graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    WOW Thats AWESOME!!!Laughing
    Thanks!

I can see by the pictures I was about 60-70º off

YOO DA MAN!Wink
    Hope you get it done....
    Thank You......