TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS

No Comment Added

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
hello, the rear window is urethaned inplace(glued)-- this requires cutting out the old glue-- then gluing in the new rear window along with the trim mldg,tim
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience: DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be more specific.
Perhaps step by step instruction; what kind of glue, where to get etc.
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

this is not any easy job -- - if you already have the rear window glass-- call the local autoglass installer -- they will remoce and install for less than $100-for labor and the glue kit--

they have the special tool to cut out the old glue/glass and the proper urethane window adhesive-- it has to be instlled correctly -- this is a one shot deal

TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

REAR WINDOW REMOVAL - EXTERIOR METHOD

1. Remove rear window wiper arm, if equipped.
  2. Remove screws attaching moldings to liftgate at the sides of the rear window
  3. Using pliers, pull outward on molding at the top and bottom of liftgate.
  4. Using a sharp cold knife, cut urethane adhesive attaching the rear window to the liftgate. A power cutting device can be used if available
  5. Remove rear window from vehicle.

REAR WINDOW REMOVAL - INTERIOR METHOD

3. Remove liftgate inside lamps and trim covers.
  4. Remove center high mounted stop lamp.
  5. Using a reciprocating or oscillating power knife, cut urethane adhesive holding the rear window to the liftgate. Refer to instructions provided with the equipment being used.
  6. Remove rear window from vehicle

REAR WINDOW INSTALLATION

CAUTION: Open the left front door glass before installing rear window to avoid pressurizing the passenger compartment. If a door is slammed before urethane bonding is cured, water leaks can result.

Allow the urethane at least 24 hours to cure before returning the vehicle to use.

To avoid stressing the replacement rear window, the urethane bonding material on the rear window fence should be smooth and consistent to the shape of the replacement glass.

1. Place replacement glass into rear window opening.
  2. Verify the glass lays evenly against the pinch weld fence at the sides, top and bottom of the replacement rear window. If not, the fence must be formed to the shape of the new glass.
  3. Using a grease pencil, mark the glass and liftgate in several locations to aid installation.
  4. Remove replacement glass from liftgate opening.
  5. Position the rear window inside up on a suitable work surface with two padded, wood 10 cm by 10 cm by 50 cm (4 in. by 4 in. by 20 in.) blocks, placed parallel 75 cm (2.5 ft.) apart

WARNING: DO NOT USE SOLVENT BASED GLASS CLEANER TO CLEAN REAR WINDOW BEFORE APPLYING GLASS PREP AND PRIMER. POOR ADHESION CAN RESULT.

6. Clean inside of rear window with ammonia based glass cleaner and lint-free cloth.
  7. Apply molding to top and bottom of rear window.
  8. Apply Glass Prep adhesion promoter 25 mm (1 in.) wide around perimeter of rear window and wipe with clean/dry lint-free cloth until no streaks are visible.
  9. Apply Glass Primer 25 mm (1 in.) wide around perimeter of rear window. Allow at least three minutes drying time.
  10. Apply Pinch weld Primer 19 mm (0.75 in.) wide around the rear window fence. Allow at least three minutes drying time.
  11. If a low viscosity urethane adhesive is used, install compression spacers on the fence around the rear window opening
  12. Apply a 10 mm (0.4 in.) bead of urethane along center line of rear window fence.
  13. With the aid of a helper, position the rear window over the rear window opening and align the reference marks.
  14. Slowly lower the glass to rear window opening fence. Guide the molding into proper position as necessary. Push glass inward until molding is flush to liftgate surface
  15. Clean excess urethane from exterior with Mopar® Super Kleen, or equivalent.
  16. Apply 150 mm (6 in.) lengths of 50 mm (2 in.) masking tape spaced 250 mm (10 in.) apart to hold molding in place until urethane cures.
  17. Install rear window side moldings and wiper arm
  18. Install interior trim.
  19. After urethane has cured, remove tape strips and water test rear window to verify repair

the urethane can be obtained at glass company or local parts store

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tim-

Thank you again; exactly what we were looking for.

Like you said, this job looks involved!!

If we are to tackle this ourselves we would need all this important info; not to mention a whole lot of prayer!

We will read and decide whether to do this job ourselves or have it installed.

You guys are great; thanks again.