vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

98 Dakota: s blinkers quit working, both inside the truck..relay

My '98 Dakota's blinkers quit working, both inside the truck and out. Could this be as simple as a blinker relay/fuse or could it possibly be the whole in-dash blinker switch?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 6 years ago.
Good evening, in order to help you further I need to know if the hazards dont work either. Let me know and I will help you further.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to vipertech763's Post: The blinkers work intermitently but the hazzards seem to be working all the time.

The problem will more then likely one of two problems, either the actual turnsignal switch or flasher. Here is some info on checking the turnsignal system:

TURN SIGNAL AND HAZARD WARNING SYSTEMS

For circuit descriptions and diagrams, Refer to Turn Signals in Wiring Diagrams.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Actuate the turn signal lever or the hazard warning button. Observe the turn signal indicator lamp(s) in the instrument cluster. If the flash rate is very high, check for a turn signal bulb that is not lit or is very dimly lit. Repair the circuits to that lamp or replace the faulty bulb, as required. Test the operation of the turn signal and hazard warning systems again. If the turn signal indicator(s) fail to light, go to Step 2.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Check the turn signal fuse in the junction block and/or the hazard warning fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse(s)
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the On position to check for battery voltage at the turn signal fuse in the junction block; or, leave the ignition switch in the Off position to check for battery voltage at the hazard warning fuse in the PDC. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Unplug the combination flasher from the junction block and replace it with a known good unit. Connect the battery negative cable. Test the operation of the turn signal and hazard warning systems. If OK, discard the faulty combination flasher. If not OK, remove the test flasher and go to Step 5.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output circuit cavity for the combination flasher in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the turn signal fuse as required.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity for the combination flasher in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the hazard warning fuse as required.
  7. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity for the combination flasher in the junction block and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, repair the circuit to ground as required.
  8. Unplug the multi-function switch wire harness connector as described in this group. Check for continuity between the combination flasher hazard signal circuit cavities in the junction block and in the multi-function switch wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 9. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
  9. Check for continuity between the combination flasher turn signal circuit cavities in the junction block and in the multi-function switch wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, test the multi-function switch as described in this group. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.

Here is the info and location of the combination flasher:

COMBINATION FLASHER

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the fuse access panel by unsnapping it from the left end of the instrument panel.
  3. Unplug the combination flasher from the junction block.

1. Install the combination flasher by aligning the flasher terminals with the cavities in the junction block and pushing the flasher firmly into place.
  2. Connect the battery negative cable.
  3. Test the flasher operation.
  4. Reinstall the fuse access panel.

COMBINATION FLASHER

The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

While the combination flasher has a International Standards Organization (ISO)-type relay terminal configuration or footprint, the internal circuitry is much different. The combination flasher does not use standard ISO-relay inputs or provide ISO-relay type outputs or functions. The combination flasher should never be substituted for an ISO-relay or replaced with an ISO-relay, or else component and vehicle damage may occur.

The combination flasher has five blade-type terminals intended for the following inputs and outputs: Battery B+, Ignition B+, Ground, Turn Signal circuit, and Hazard Warning circuit. Constant battery voltage and ground are supplied to the flasher so that it can perform the hazard warning function, and ignition switched battery voltage is supplied for the turn signal function. Refer to Turn Signals in Wiring Diagrams for complete circuit descriptions, diagrams and terminal function identification.

The IC within the combination flasher Combination Flasher - Typical contains the logic that controls the flasher operation and the flash rate. Pin 6 of the IC receives a sense voltage from the hazard warning portion of the multi-function switch. When the hazard switch is turned on, the "hazard on sense" voltage will become low due to the circuit being grounded through the turn signal bulbs. This low voltage sense signals the IC to energize the flash control Positive-Negative-Positive (PNP) transistor at a pre-calibrated flash rate or frequency. Each time the PNP transistor energizes the hazard warning circuit, the pin 6 "hazard on sense" voltage will become high and the IC signals the PNP transistor to de-energize the circuit. This cycling will continue until the hazard warning switch is turned off.

Likewise, pin 8 of the IC receives a sense voltage from the turn signal portion of the multi-function switch. When the left or right turn signal is turned on, the "turn signal on sense" voltage will become low due to the circuit being grounded through the turn signal bulbs. This low voltage sense signals the IC to energize the flash control PNP transistor at a pre-calibrated flash rate or frequency. Each time the PNP transistor energizes the turn signal circuit, the pin 8 "turn signal on sense" voltage will become high and the IC signals the PNP transistor to de-energize the circuit. This cycling will continue until the right or left turn signal is turned off.

A special design feature of the combination flasher allows it to "sense" that a turn signal circuit or bulb is not operating, and provide the driver an indication of the condition by flashing the remaining bulbs in the affected circuit at a higher rate (120 flashes-per-minute or higher) Conventional flashers either continue flashing at their typical rate (heavy-duty type), or discontinue flashing the affected circuit entirely (standard-duty type) During turn signal operation, the combination flasher IC compares normal battery voltage input on pin 2 with the shunt resistor voltage input on pin 7. If the IC "senses" that the voltage difference between pin 2 and pin 7 is different than the pre-calibrated value of the IC, it will increase the rate at which it signals the PNP transistor to energize the pin 1 output. Thus, the inoperative half (left or right side) of the turn signal circuit will flash faster.

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty, test the turn signal and hazard warning system circuits as described in this group. Then replace the combination flasher with a known good unit to confirm system operation.

The combination flasher cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced

Here is info on testing the actual switch using a multimeter. I apologize for the quality of the image, it can still be read either way:

MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH

Perform the diagnosis of the hazard warning and/or turn signal systems as described in this group before testing the multi-function switch. For circuit descriptions and diagrams, Refer to Turn Signals in Wiring Diagrams.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Unplug the multi-function switch wire harness connector.
  2. Using an ohmmeter, perform the switch continuity checks at the switch terminals as shown in the Multi-Function Switch Continuity chart.

1. If the switch fails any of the continuity checks, replace the faulty switch. If the switch is OK, repair the lighting circuits as required.

Here is a related wiring diagram showing the combination flasher and turnsignal switch which is also known as the multifunction switch:

an807982

Please check the fuses for 12 volts on both sides of the terminals as shown in the above wiring diagram. Check all the above items and let me know what you found. If this answers your question then fill free to press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know and I will get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks again

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified