Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

1996 Chrysler Sebring: Position Sensor..I found a camshaft..cylinder

I have a 1996 Chrysler Sebring and it shuts off while driving, the car strarts up right back up. I read that I need to replace the case Position Sensor. One, I did not find that in any auto parts I found a camshaft and a cylinder sensor? Two, where are they located in the car?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Below are locations of cam position and crankshaft position sensors:

Crankshaft sensor is located below the distributor on driver's side of engine at transaxle bellhousing:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. If necessary for access, remove the speed control servo unit from the left side strut tower.

3. Unfasten the sensor mounting screw, then pull the sensor straight up and out of the transaxle housing.

The sensor connector may be attached to the heater tube bracket with a push-on clip. If so, pull the connector from the bracket to free it.

1. Detach the crankshaft position sensor electrical connector and remove it from the vehicle.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Crankshaft position sensor and spacer

The crankshaft position sensor should be adjustable, which is identifiable by the presence of an elongated mounting hole on the sensor itself. If the sensor removed is being re-installed, clean off the old paper spacer from the sensor face. A new spacer must be mounted on the face before installation. However, if a new crankshaft position sensor is being installed, confirm that a paper spacer is already present.

1. Install the sensor into the transaxle and push down until it contacts the flexplate. Hold the sensor in position and install the mounting screw. Tighten the sensor mounting screw to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

2. Attach the crankshaft position sensor's electrical connector.

3. Attach the electrical connector to the heater tube bracket.

4. If removed, install the speed control servo unit back into position and tighten the mounting nuts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

Camshaft position sensor:

The camshaft positon sensor is located inside the distributor itself and is not servicable. If bad the distributor must be replaced.

2.5L Engine

See Figures 1 through 7

The 2.5L engine is equipped with a camshaft driven mechanical distributor. This engine uses a fixed ignition timing system, in which the basic ignition timing is not adjustable. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines spark advance. The crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor are Hall effect devices. The crankshaft sensor is mounted remotely from the distributor, while the camshaft position sensor is mounted inside the distributor housing. Both sensors generate pulses which serve as inputs to the PCM; the PCM determines crankshaft position from these sensors, then calculates injector sequence and ignition timing, based on the data.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles other than Sebring coupe or Avenger, there is a remote connection at the left strut tower, which is equipped with an insulator grommet; be sure to place this grommet on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.

2. If necessary for access, perform the following:

1. Remove the bolt attaching the air inlet resonator to the intake manifold.

2. Loosen the clamps holding the air cleaner cover to the air cleaner housing.

3. Remove the PCV make-up air hose from the air inlet tube.

4. Loosen the hose clamp at the throttle body.

5. Remove the air cleaner cover, resonator and inlet tube.

6. Remove the EGR tube.

3. Mark for identification, if necessary, and remove the spark plug wires from the distributor cap.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Loosen the distributor cap hold-down screws

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Remove the distributor cap with the wires and terminals numbered for correct installation

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: After removing the distributor rotor, detach the 6-pin connector (1) and the 2-pin connector (2)

1. Remove the distributor cap.

2. Mark the rotor position with a scribe mark to indicate where to position the rotor when reinstalling the distributor. Remove the rotor.

3. Unfasten the 2 electrical harness connections from the distributor.

4. Remove the 2 distributor hold-down nuts and washers.

5. If necessary, remove the spark plug cable mounting bracket.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the distributor assembly hold-down nuts and washers

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Locate, then remove the transaxle fluid dipstick retaining bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: For easier access to the distributor assembly, remove the transaxle fluid level dipstick and tube assembly by pulling up and out

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Grasp and remove the distributor assembly; it may have to be turned in order to pass through the space

1. Remove the transaxle dipstick tube.

2. Carefully remove the distributor from the engine.

INSTALLATION

Timing Not Disturbed

See Figure 8

1. Inspect the rotor for cracks or burned electrodes, and replace if defective. Install the rotor onto the distributor.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Inspecting the distributor shaft rubber O-ring seal for nicks or cracks

1. Inspect the O-ring seal. If nicked or cracked, replace with a new one. Make sure the O-ring is properly seated on the distributor.

2. Carefully engage the distributor drive with the slotted end of the camshaft. When the distributor is installed properly, the rotor will be in line with the previously made mark.

3. Verify proper rotor alignment with the mark made at disassembly.

4. Reinstall the distributor hold-down nuts and washers. Tighten the nuts to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).

5. Reinstall the spark plug cable bracket.

6. Reconnect the 2 distributor wiring connectors.

7. Reinstall the distributor cap.

8. Reinstall the spark plug cables, following the identification marks made at disassembly.

9. Reinstall the transaxle dipstick tube.

10. If removed earlier, install the following:

1. Install the EGR tube and tighten the mounting bolts to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).

2. Install the air cleaner cover, resonator and inlet tube.

3. Tighten the hose clamp at the throttle body.

4. Install the PCV hose.

5. Tighten the clamps holding the air cleaner cover to the air cleaner housing.

6. Install the bolt attaching the air inlet resonator to the intake manifold.

11. Reconnect the negative battery cable

Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

This is a Paysite

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.