William D Mulneaux
William D Mulneaux, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience, ASE, Dodge, GM certified.

I have a 2000 dodge stratus. my ignition key wont ...

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge stratus. my ignition key wont turn. it has happened a couple of times but then was fine. now i cant drive my car it won''t turn at all. I guess possibly a pin broke. where can i replace the guts w new key and how much. i also need to know how to get key guts out with out tearing apart my column. when this 1st happened my shifter was also stuck. when i pushed in button to shift i could hear a clicking sound where key enters. I forced the shifter down and now it changes to n d etc without feeling jammed. my other 2000 stratus had no problem shiftin while car was off so i wasn''t sure if that had something to do with it. i thought it was odd i couldnt shift mine and that clicking noise where key goes when i pushed the shift button. i''d hate to replace key guts if it is something else. also i dont always hear the ding sound when i insert key. sometimes but not always. and no the steering wheel isn''t locked. my key just wont turn. any help is much appreciated . I just bought the car 2 days ago. I have a 1995 neon with same motor 2.0 and was wondering it I could put that key guts in my 2000 stratus   thankyoy-KriS
Category: Dodge
Expert:  William D Mulneaux replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer,

You most likely have a problem with the shift-interlock system. This is what keeps you from moving the shifter with out pressing the brake, but it can also cause problems with your lock cylinder.

You need to remove the center console to access the adjustment on the shift-interlock cable. Pull outward on cable locking clip to allow cable to self adjust. Press clip down to lock in place.

If it will not adjust the cable will need to be replaced, but you should be able to get the key to to turn by messing with the cable.

DO NOT switch ignitions from one car to the other. The keys are coded to the vehicle and you will have no end of trouble if you switch them.

Let me know if you need more help,