Leo, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  2005 Dodge ASE master technician of the year

97 dodge ram 1500: V..The blower works fine

I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 V-6. The heater will not get hot. The blower works fine. You can fell some heat with the blower off but once you turn on the blower it is cold.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer!

Assuming your engine is full of coolant, and coming up to temp (in the 190-200 range) then that is a fairly good indicator that your heater core is getting plugged up.

A quick test is after the car is warmed up feel both heater hoses going through the firewall, they should both be very hot.. if one is substantially cooler, that indicates that the heater core is restricted.

You can try flushing it out, just remove both hoses from the firewall (or wherever is easiest) and flush it both directions with a water hose. Sometimes this will cure the problem by blowing the crud out, once in a great while flushing them out will cause them to start leaking, but your facing replacement anyway if you want heat, so it's worth a shot.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to reply back!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what controls the amount of water that gets into the heater core so that you can raise or lower the temperature? These trucks do not have an on line temp valve.
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

The heater core gets full coolant flow all the time.. The air is either directed through the heater core, or around it by the blend air door inside the heaterbox.

Generally when they start to get plugged up on the lowest fan setting you may get luke warm at best, XXXXX XXXXX you turn the fan speed up there isn't enough hot water circulating through the core to heat the larger volume of air.

It could be an issue with the blend air door, but the fact that it's warm until you crank the fan up doesn't necessarily support this.

Have you checked to see if both heater hoses get hot?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just checked the raidiator level and it was good. I also checked the heater hoses and both are hot. When you first turn on the blower (after the engine has warmed up) you get warm not hot, air for a few seconds then it gets cold.
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

If both heater hoses are good an hot when the engine is warmed up, that's a pretty decent indicator that you've got flow through the heater core... hmm..

Let me look up the blend air door operation quick (some are cable, some are electric).. Ok it appears to be cable operated..

Try turning the temperature knob full to cold and hot, if you listen carefully you should be able to hear a soft 'thump' inside the box as the door goes to full travel..

If you do reply back, if you don't gently remove the knob (should be able to pull it straight toward you) and try turning the post with pliers and see if you get hot air. I have seen a few where the back of the knob strips out, it appears to work, but it won't actually turn the post..

Let me know,