William D Mulneaux
William D Mulneaux, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience, ASE, Dodge, GM certified.
6776439

My 2002 dodge durango will not shift into reverse. what ...

My 2002 dodge durango will not shift into reverse. what could be causing this

Welcome to Just Answer,

Are you having a problem with the shift lever itself not moving, or is the vehicle not moving when it is in reverse?

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The shift lever will not move into reverse

OK,

It sounds like you have a problem withthe shift interlock system. This is what keeps you from moving the shift lever if the brake is not applied.

graphic

If you remove the shroud from around the steering column you will see this cable assembly, it has an electrical connector at the end of it. You can manually move the linkage where the cable connects. This will allow you to get the vehicle in gear.

If you can not move the linkage you will have to remove the cable as the solenoid at the end of the cable is stuck. Once you can move that linkage you can get your car in gear and get it to a shop, or if you like I can help you diagnose the problem. You will need some electrical test eqipment to do this.

Here is a an adjustment procedure for the cable:

1. Remove the steering column trim as necessary for access to the brake transmission shift interlock.
  2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
    1. Pull upward on both the BTSI lock tab and the gearshift cable lock tab (Fig. 55).
    2. Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position.
    3. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate when the park lock is engaged.
    4. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.
    5. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
    6. Push the gearshift cable lock tab down until it snaps in place.
    7. Locate the BTSI alignment hole in the bottom of the BTSI mechanism between the BTSI lock tab and the BTSI connector.
    8. Move the BTSI assembly up or down on the gearshift cable until an appropriate size drill bit can be inserted into the alignment hole and through the assembly.
    9. Push the BTSI lock tab down until it snaps into place and remove the drill bit.
    10. Install any steering column trim previously removed.

BTSI FUNCTION CHECK

1. Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK position only.
    2. When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely from off to lock. When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition key should not rotate from off to lock.
    3. Shifting out of PARK should be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the off position.
    4. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force, and ignition key cylinder is in the run or start positions, unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12 mm) .
    5. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the accessory or lock position.
    6. Shifting between any gear and NEUTRAL, or PARK, may be done without depressing foot brake with ignition switch in run or start positions.
    7. Engine starts must be possible with shifter lever in PARK or NEUTRAL positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL.
    8. With shifter lever in the:
      1. PARK position - Apply upward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
      2. PARK position - Apply downward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
      3. NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.
      4. NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply upward force on the shift arm. Transmission shall not be able to shift from neutral to reverse.

Good Luck, let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to William D Mulneaux's Post: thank you , do you have some idea of the cost to fix and is that what I could tell my mechanic to check for?

Tell the mechanic you are hving a problem with the shift interlock, cost is dependent on the actual time is spent diagnosing the problem. The shift cable itself calls for lessthan an hour to replace, approximately $80 depending on the shops labor rate.

Thanks,

Bill