William D Mulneaux
William D Mulneaux, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience, ASE, Dodge, GM certified.
6776439

2003 durango: The cruise control light comes..steering wheel..engage

Customer Question

Cruise control stopped working on 2003 durango. The cruise control light comes on when you hit the cruise button on steering wheel but cruise will not engage when you hit set. I''ve checked for loose vacuum lines etc... what do I do next. I had the car at the dealer for service and we had a engine light on which turned out the engine was running too cool so they replaced the thermostat cruise worked perfectly before the service. Is it possible that when the engine light was turned off the computer was reset somehow effecting the cruise control?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  William D Mulneaux replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer,

How about the horn, does it work? Do you have an airbag light on? Any of these would indicate beyond a doubt you have a clockspring problem. This component supplies an electrical path to these sytems while allowing the rotation of the steering wheel. If you don't have a horn or airbag issue this does not necessarily rule out the clockspring.

Check the vacuum lines from the speed control servo to the vacuum reservoir in the cowl under the wipers and the line from the reservoir to the vacuum source.

graphic

Servo

graphic

Vacuum reservoir

Let me know if you need more info,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to William D Mulneaux's Post: I have checked the lines from the main vacuum to the servo I placed on a vacuum guage and read 22 lbs of vacuum is that around the correct ammount of vacuum at idle...actually i did accelerate the engine during vacuum test.
the horn works properly and there is no air bag indicator on.

Werd thing though now that I took the vacuum line lose and reconnected I now can not get the cruise indicator to light up when I press the cruis on/off switch on the steering wheel. I have checked over fuse panel again and see nothing blown. Backup and brake lights work properly and when I release the brake pedal the brake lights do turn off as normal.

What next step do you recommend?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how exactly does the servo work? does the vacuum line number 2 on the drawing have a orface or any restrictor inline?
also I have checked the harness plug that connects to the servo all apears to be tight..did not disconnect the harness plug.

OK,

The servo has 3 solenoids and a vacuum chamber, the PCM controls the solenoids according to vehicle operating conditions and switch inputs. The switchs are MUX switches which means the PCM sends a 5 volt reference through the switch and each switch setting has a different resistance. The PCM sees a momentary voltage drop when a function is selected a determines if criteria is correct for the requested function.

Changing the 5.9 thermostat is pretty invasive cxompared to a 4.7. Did you make sure the servo is still connected to the throttle? Is the cable in good condition, make sure its not kinked or damaged. It sounds like you checked most of the possibilities as far as basics. Is the servo securely mounted?

Have you driven the vehicle since the cruise light went out? It needs to be in drive to operate. 22 inches of vacuum is plenty. If you are still in the town that did the thermostat work see if you can at least get them to pull codes and see if any speed control trouble codes are set. This will at least give us a place to start. Normally the alternator is moved when replacing the thermostat on the 5.9, make sure there is no wiring pinched around the alternator.

Let me know if you get any more info,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to William D Mulneaux's Post: I have driven the vehicle and the cruise light will not come on when i push to turn cruise on.

I see no wiring pinched around the alternator.

servo is mounted and has no kinks and the
throttle cable seems ok and is connected to throttle linkage.
is it pretty rare to have the servo fail?
would you think the Dodge dealer changed the settings in the PCM when clearing the engine alarm for the thermostat issue?
what fuses are related to the cruise operation?

Cycle the ignition key on-off-on-off-on and tell me if the odometer displays any codes.

The servo's power is supplied by the PCM and the steering wheel switchs 5 volt reference is also supplied by the PCM. I don't see many cruise control problems that are not clockspring related.

Just clearing a code would not affect cruise control operation, either they did something mechanically, broke something or it is total coincedence. Check the actual wires on the servo and see if they can be pushed into the connector, the tech may have leaned on a harness and pulled a terminal loose. Try the same with the PCM behind the air cleaner housing.

Unfortunately this is a system that is easily diagnosed with a Chrysler scan tool. Do you have a test light? We can check power at a couple of points if you can get a hold of one, you can get a cheap one at any parts store.

Keep in touch,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no codes displayed on odometer panel. I can check with test light or voltage meter. What points should I try to read voltage?
When I turn the key swith on I notice the cruise light never lights up even during the initial lamp test...I see all other odometer lights turn on and then turn off within a couple seconds.
Check dark blue and red wire at servo for battery voltage with test light.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no voltage at red/blue wire (this is the striped wire) in the four wire conector that connects to the servo. I checked for battery voltage between the black wirte and the red/blue striped wire. I also checked (ohms) to be sure the black wire connected to ground/negative. all pin connectors seem tight and secure on wiring.
Is their a fuse that is in the circuit that I should check?

the oil was also changed in the car when it was in for service could something have been hit near transmition?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no voltage at red/blue wire (this is the striped wire) in the four wire conector that connects to the servo. I checked for battery voltage between the black wire and the red/blue striped wire. I also checked (ohms) to be sure the black wire connected to ground/negative. all pin connectors seem tight and secure on wiring.
Is there a fuse that is in the circuit that I should check?

the oil was also changed in the car when it was in for service could something have been hit near transmission?

graphic

Check violet and yellow wire at brake switch connector. If you have power here you will need a brake switch.

graphic

The brake lamp switch can be tested with an ohm-meter. The ohmmeter is used to check continuity between the pin terminals.

SWITCH CIRCUIT IDENTIFICATION

• Terminals 1 and 2: brake lamp circuit
  • Terminals 3 and 4: RWAL/ABS module and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) circuit
  • Terminals 5 and 6: speed control circuit

SWITCH CONTINUITY TEST

NOTE: Disconnect switch harness before testing switch continuity.

With switch plunger extended, attach test leads to pins 1 and 2. Replace switch if meter indicates no continuity.

With switch plunger retracted, attach test leads to pins 3 and 4. Replace switch if meter indicates no continuity.

With switch plunger retracted, attach test leads to pins 5 and 6. Replace switch if meter indicates no continuity.

Let me know if this gets you anywhere,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all continuity test on brake switch check ok. continuity on each point you requested to be tested.

The wiring for the brake switch appears the black green striped wire is a ground. I had battery voltage between the black green striped wire and the violet blue striped wire and also read battery voltage between the yellow red striped wire and the violet blue striped wire.
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
hello, bill won't mind a little input-- have anyone inspected the clockspring-- in the steering column -- and does the horn work?tim

Thanks for the input Tim we discussed the clockspring in a previous post, the horn does work, no airbag light, no codes. It appears we're having an issue getting power to the servo.

Customer

Give some time to go over the info you gave me, I am at work right now and I don't have the capabilities I have at home as far as sending you diagrams and such, the techs terminals are pretty useless for that kind of thing. We're only here a 1/2 day, then a 30 mile ride home. I will look over your data while I am hereand have something for you as soon as I can.

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bill, Thanks for the help. I'll be out for a while today anyway. I'll check back in a couple hours. Thanks again. Customer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bill, did you come up with anything more to test?

you'll never believe this but I was driving the car tonight and sure enoughthe cruise started working. I know I haven't fixed the problem however until it stops working again it will be hard to trouble shoot.
Any suggestions on what to do now.
Another problem we've had with the car is the electronic door locks click like they're trying to lock and unlock while driving down the road has not happened for a long period of time but then today it started doing this for about a hour. I turned the lock on rear door and on drivers door with the key to see if this would align the lock however the symptom continued. Then the problem stopped with the locks and the cruise started woking. Could the two symptoms be related?

Are you having any speedometer issues? I have to check, the speedo runs of a sensor in the differential. There are speed sensors in the tranny, the only common thread would be vehicle speed if the truck is equipped with rolling door locks, that is it locks automatically at a certain speed. That wouldn,t explain the lack of power at the servo.

Things got hectic on me I am still working on the last info you gave me and the door locks may be a good clue. Chrysler electrical is interesting, they spend alot of time sending info from module to module until they get to the end of the chain and the final module makes a decision.

I'll get back to you,

Bill

Experience: 20 yrs experience, ASE, Dodge, GM certified.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the car does auto lock the doors at a certain speed normally that is around ten or fifteen miles per hour. I have not noticed any trouble with the speedometer.
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
replace the clockspring
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tim, would the clock spring cause trouble with the auto door locks too?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bill I think your on the right track with the sensor. Please continue.

Heres something to check,

I was talking to another tech at work, and a Just Answer expert sent me a message verifying this. You have a heat pump on the passenger side of the engine compartment that is prone to leaking coolant into the wiring harness. Check this pump for leakage and inspect the harness and bulkhead connector for corrosion. The coolant can use the harness as a wick and cause any number of problems.

graphic

graphic

Look this over and let me know,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the pump and I see no sign of leak. The wiring harness is tied up above the pump and out of the way. No signs of corrosion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bill I drove the car tonight and at first I had no cruise light on the instrument panel and then after driving for a while the light suddenly appeared I then set the cruise and it worked correctly. after a little driving (Maybe twenty miles total) the cruise light went back off and now will not come on. Do you think the clockspring should be replaced? How about the speed sensor you talked about? I have had no further trouble with the door locks today.

NUMBER: 08-023-03

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: July 18, 2003

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-041-00, DATED DEC. 15, 2000, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**. THE REVISION ADDS 2002 AND 2003 VEHICLES AND REVISES THE PARTS TABLE.

SUBJECT:
Intermittent Locking/Unlocking Of Doors Without Activating The Power Door Lock Switch

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing new door/liftgate lock cylinder switches.

MODELS:

**2000 - 2003** (AB) Ram Van/Wagon **2000 - 2003** (AN) Dakota **2000 - 2002** (BR/BE) Ram Truck **2000 - 2003** (DN) Durango

NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM (SALES CODE LSA).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The door locks will intermittently lock and/or unlock without any activation of the power door lock switch or a clicking sound may be heard coming from the power door locks (repeated locking or repeated unlocking). The condition may occur more frequently in damp conditions such as driving the vehicle in the rain or taking the vehicle through a car wash.

DIAGNOSIS:

Vehicles that demonstrate this condition may have water weeping into the door/liftgate lock cylinder switches causing the switch to intermittently short across the internal circuit. This in turn may signal the Central Timer Module (CTM) to activate the power door locks. Because of the nature of this problem, it is extremely difficult to diagnose this condition. Therefore, customers that indicate their doors intermittently lock and unlock without having the door lock switch activated or customers that indicate they hear a repeated clicking noise coming from the door locks should have the Repair Procedure performed on their vehicle.

This TSB may help with the door lock problem, the Durangos also have problems with water leaking into the B-pillar (between front and rear doors) across the top of the door and down into the kick panel getting water in the Central Timer Module (CTM) causing issues.

This can be hard to track down as there will be no signs of water after it dries, sometimes you can take the CTM out and remove the cover and see where water has run across the circuit board.

As far as the cruise goes, I am not leaning towards the clockspring. The reason is this, if I understand you correctly you wer driving down the road and the cruise just quit. We know you were not getting power to the servo. The switch that turns the cruise on and off is not like a light switch that provides a mechanical connection for current to flow through. When you press the button it sends a voltage signal to the PCM for as long as you have the button depressed. The PCM sees this voltage and internally switches on the power to the servo. If you have power on the yellow /red wire and nothing to the servo the only thing between these to points is the brake switch. You also stated it started working again after you checked the brake switch. Try wiggling the connector at the brake switch and see if it starts working again. It could be a clockspring, it is a common problem, it just doesn't fit with the lack of power at the servo.

Bill