Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L- code P0440- engine light on

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

DTC P0440 - General Evaporative system failure

Possible causes:

• Evap purge solenoid vacuum supply
  • Evap purge solenoid
  • NVLD switch ooperation
  • ground circuit open
  • Evap emission leak
  • signal circuit open
  • NVLD assembly
  • Faulty PCM

Check the Evap system for broken vacuum lines- repair as necessary, also check that gas cap is tight and seals properly. For checking evap purge solenoid operation, NVLD switch operation, and PCM you will need a level 2 diagnostic scanner, as well as a smoke machine for leak detection. If you have one, or have access to one let me know and I can give you the diagnostic troubleshooting procedure.

Evap system failures can be the hardest to diagnose, especially if you do not have the proper equipment to do the diagnostic troubleshooting. Sometimes it is better to have a shop do at least the diagnostic troubleshooting, then decide whether to repair yourself or have a shop do the repairs. Evap systems for dakota 4.7L

Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

This is a Paysite

Have a peaceful holiday season!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks anyhow but this answer did not help us.
The diagram is of a Dakota and we have a RAM. We were hoping for more the one answer rather than the whole conglomerate.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

my mistake sending you the dakota- here is for the Ram1500:

Sorry, wish I could tell you it was a specific part, but the trouble code you have does not indicate a specific part. It is for a general failure of the Evaporative emissions system.

I hope you dont guess as to which part to replace or listen to someone that guarantees you that a specific part will fix your problem without having done the diagnostic troubleshooting required to find and isolate problem. I dont believe in wasting a customer's money by guessing as to which of many possibilities it can be, and throwing parts at problem until fixed can ultimately be much more expensive than paying a professional to at least do the diagnostic troubleshooting for you and letting you know exactly what the problem is. At that point you can decide to repair yourself.