JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

How do I replace a fuel pump on a Dodge Stratus

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Couple quick questions for you while I pull up some diagrams:

-What Year and Engine size please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's a 1996 Dodge Stratus and it has a 2.4 Lit.4 cyc. in it.
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
OK...its a fairly large article..its will be just a few moments...
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
HeyCustomer JHoop here.
Here are the articles you requested.
graphic
ELECTRICAL PUMP REPLACEMENT
The electric fuel pump is not serviceable. If the fuel pump needs replacement, the complete fuel pump module must be replaced. Perform the Fuel System Pressure Release procedure before servicing the fuel pump. See: Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair

WARNING: Release fuel system pressure before servicing fuel system components. Service vehicles in well ventilated areas and avoid ignition sources. NEVER smoke while servicing the vehicle .

FUEL PUMP MODULE REMOVAL

1. Remove fuel filler cap and perform Fuel System Pressure Release procedure. See: Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair
2. Disconnect negative cable from auxiliary jumper terminal.
3. Remove fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank/Service and Repair .
4. Disconnect fuel filter lines from fuel pump module.
5. Clean top of tank to remove loose dirt and debris.
6. Using Special Tool #6856 Fuel Pump Module Ring Spanner, remove locknut to release pump module Fig. 10 . WARNING: The fuel reservoir or the fuel pump module does not empty out when the tank is drained. The fuel in the reservoir may spill out when the module is removed .
graphic
7. Remove fuel pump module and 0-ring from tank Fig. 11 . Discard 0-ring.

graphic

FUEL PUMP MODULE INSTALLATION

1. Wipe seal area of tank clean. Place a new 0-ring on the ledge between the tank threads and the pump module opening.
2. Position fuel pump module in tank.

o Make sure the alignment tab on the underside of the pump module flange sits in the corresponding notch in the fuel tank.

CAUTION: Over tightening the pump lock ring may result in a leak.

3. While holding the pump module in position, install locknut. Tighten locknut to 40 ft lb torque using special tool #6856.
4. Install fuel tank and fuel filter. Refer to Fuel Tank/Service and Repair .
5. Fill fuel tank with clean fuel. Check for leaks.
6. Install negative cable to auxiliary jumper terminal.
graphic
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER SERVICE - REMOVAL

1. Remove fuel pump module.
2. Using a thin straight blade screwdriver, carefully pry back the locking tabs on fuel pump reservoir and remove the strainer Fig. 12 .
graphic
3. Remove strainer 0-ring from the fuel pump reservoir body.
4. Remove any contaminants by washing the inside of the fuel tank.

FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER SERVICE -- INSTALLATION

1. Lubricate the strainer 0-ring with clean motor oil.
2. Insert strainer 0-ring into outlet of strainer so that it sits evenly on the step inside the outlet.
3. Push strainer onto the inlet of the fuel pump reservoir body. Make sure the locking tabs on the reservoir body lock over the locking tangs on the strainer.
4. Install fuel pump module.

If you need the diagrams for dropping the tank, just let me know and I will get them for you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
OK you want the tank removal?...OK ....?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you send me diagrams on dropping the tank? Please. Thank you for the fuel pump info.                                          ;                       ThanksCustomer
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Sure. Not a problem. Follow this procedure here:

1. Release fuel system pressure.
3. From inside trunk, disconnect pump wiring jumper from main body harness. The 4 pin connector is located under the trunk mat on the left side of trunk near the base of the shock tower. Locate body grommet for jumper near base of rear seat. Push grommet out and feed jumper completely through hole in body.
4. Remove fuel cap slowly to release tank pressure.
5. With vehicle on a hoist, drain fuel from tank. Support fuel tank with a support such as a transmission jack stand.
6. Position a fuel approved container, with a capacity of at least 16 gallons, under the drain plug located on the bottom left edge of the tank.
7. Remove drain plug and allow fuel to drain Fig. 1 . WARNING: Drain plug must be installed at this time as there will be 1 to 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank .
8. When tank is no longer draining, install drain plug. Tighten plug to 32 in. lbs . WARNING: There may be fuel in the fill tube. Remove hose carefully to reduce fuel splash .
graphic
9. Disconnect fuel tank from rubber fill hose Fig. 2 .
graphic
graphic
WARNING: Wrap shop towels around hoses to catch any gasoline spillage .

10. Disconnect fuel lines from fuel pump module. These are quick connect fittings Fig. 3 .
11. Disconnect vapor line from tank mounted rollover valve. The valve is located at the rear of the tank and connects to the vapor line with a rubber hose.
12. Remove bolts and fuel tank straps.
13. Remove tank from vehicle. Slide tank forward during removal to allow fill neck to clear suspension cross-member.

INSTALLATION

1. Position fuel tank on transmission jack.
2. Raise tank into position.
3. Connect vapor line to rollover valve.
4. Connect chassis fuel tube to fuel filter.
5. Connect fuel fill tube to tank inlet. Tighten hose clamp to 3.5 Nm (31 in. lbs.) torque.
6. Install pump module harness grommet into body
7. Position fuel filter and fuel tank straps. Tighten fuel tank strap bolts to 23 Nm (250 in. lbs.) torque. Remove transmission jack. Ensure straps are not twisted or bent.
8. Lower vehicle.
9. Connect fuel pump module connector.
10. Fill fuel tank, install filler cap, and connect battery cable. CAUTION: When using the ASD Fuel System Test, the ASD relay remains energized for either 7 minutes, until the test is stopped, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position.
11. Use the DRB Scan Tool-ASD Fuel System Test to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks.

There you have it. Complete from the Dodge Service Manual. I hope it helps. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Don't forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks.