Leo, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  2005 Dodge ASE master technician of the year

2000 dodge stratus: my timing belt broken..put new belt..cylinder head

Customer Question

hi, my timing belt broken on my 2000 dodge stratus. put new belt on, line up all timing mark will not start ,do i need to change valve,stem . or new cylinder head
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer,

I have a couple of quick questions. The first is what size engine is in your stratus? The second is have you done a compression test and if so what were the results?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Leo's Post: it a 2.4 dohc change head gasket valve stem. valves lifter, springs and all other gaskets (do both camshafts, need to be key up on both
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

The dowel pin needs to be at either 6 o'clock (bottom) or 12 o'clock (top) and I'm drawing a blank... Just have a look at the cam gear, one side is stamped 2.4 with an arrow that faces up.. Hold it in place and it will show you if the pin needs to be on the top or the bottom.

When putting it back together and timing it, make sure that the mark is aligned on the crank to the mark on the oil pump housing, and all 4 camshaft marks are in a perfect straight line across (use a straightedge), and the arrows are up on the gears before tightening the head down or timing..

A lot of guys get into trouble timing 2.4's because they only line the two marks in the middle up, but don't look at the outside marks... all 4 should be in a straight line from each other.

Make sense?