Scott, Driveability expert
Experience:  Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.

2000 Dodge Durango: my shifter for 4 wheel drive..shift..stick

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango, and my shifter forXXXXXis not allowing me to switch back intoXXXXXand the shifter is loose. What i mean by loose is, when i go to shift my stick just falls out of place. I don't know what to do becuz my vehicle s stuck inXXXXX please help me.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.

Hi- Is the shifter real loose?

Thanks Scott.

Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.

The vehicle operator may experience a condition where the transfer case can not be shifted into high or low range.

This condition may have resulted from an incorrect shift procedure, where a low range transfer case shift is attempted when the vehicle is not in motion (a static shift). The incorrect shift, into or out of low range, may force the transfer case lower shifter lever grommet to come loose from the transfer case shifter.

Inspect the transfer case shifter linkage. If the trunnion has come loose from the grommet in the transfer case lower shifter lever, then perform the Repair Procedure.

QtyPart No.Description
105017960AAGrommet, Transfer Case Lower Shifter Lever

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Note how the original transfer case lower shifter lever grommet is positioned.
  3. Remove the original lower shifter lever grommet from the shift linkage trunnion.
  4. Install the new grommet (p/n 05017960AA) into its hole in the transfer case lower shifter lever. The technician may find installing the grommet easier if the flat end (not the tapered end) of the grommet is installed first.
  5. Loosen the shift rod lock bolt at the trunnion. Be sure the rod does not bind in the trunnion (Figure 1).
  6. Verify that the transfer case shift lever is in the 2H detent position. The 2H detent position on the transfer case shift arm is the second position from full forward.
  7. Align the adjustment location hole on the lower shifter lever with the adjustment channel on the shifter bracket assembly (Figure 2).
  8. Insert an appropriately sized pin through the adjustment channel and through the locating hole to hold the shifter in the correct position.
  9. Tighten the shift rod lock bolt to 10 Nm (90 in. lbs.) torque.
  10. Remove the locating pin from the adjustment channel and locating hole.
  11. Check the shift linkage for proper operation in all ranges.

Hope this helps.