Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

1999 Dodge Durango: bad ignition coil but im..wont start..up...bad gas

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango that i think has a bad ignition coil but im not positive. The truck will start one day and wont start the next. If i leave the truck sitting for a few days then it will start up.I was told that i possibly had bad gas in the truck but ive ran the gas down to empty and refilled it several times. The truck will crank but not turn over and sometimes when i stop turning the ignition the engine sputters afterwards. Any suggestion as to an issue.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 6 years ago.

Hello

These coils rarely go bad. The far more common probablity is the fuel pump.

They get hot, develope too much resistance, and quit working untill they cool down.

I advise to check the fuel pressure at the time of a no start to confirm, you might also at that time, check for spark to the plugs. This will narrow it down to one of the two systems.

.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Happy Holidays!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i found that when i turned the vehicle on that the check gauge light was on indicating a problem with the battery. I checked and found that the alternator cable has a split in the insulation and the cable was rusted. Could possibly be part of the issue with the vehicle not starting normally?

..

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ..

.

Can you run the wiring path,,if so, i can send ya the complete wiring?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i've taken the tank off of the truck and plugged the fuel pump back up. When i turned the truck on the pump seemed to work because it almost shot gasoline into my face.lol I turned the truck off and back on and it seemed to work again. Any suggestions as to what might be the next step to troubleshooting this issue? Could the issue be the spark plugs even though a mechanic did a diagnostic on the truck and received no error codes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have a 1999 Dodge Durango that i think has a bad ignition coil but im not positive. The truck will start one day and wont start the next. If i leave the truck sitting for a few days then it will start up.I was told that i possibly had bad gas in the truck but ive ran the gas down to empty and refilled it several times. The truck will crank but not turn over and sometimes when i stop turning the ignition the engine sputters afterwards. I was also told that i might be the fuel pump so i removed the gas tank and plugged the fuel pump back up to the truck and the fuel pump seems to work, but im not sure if the fuel pump is going bad will it work sometimes until it overheats. any suggestions would be appreciated

What needs to be done is have the fuel pressure checkedwith a gauge, and check it for spark to the plugs, both tests must be performed AT the time of the no start.

Once you have determined which area is failing, you will have an easier time of tracking it down..